Hop garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnmike24

Reaction score
I started my own hop garden this year. Hopes grew better then expected for the first year. Even got a few ounces of cascade hops. Now its time to cut them back. I wanted to make sure i did it right. Should i just cut them back down to the base right above the soil?

In the hop fields, there is nothing vegetative left after the harvest, just bare dirt. That prevents bugs from wintering over.

If the plants are already dying back, then yes, cut them down to the soil line.

If they are still green and seem to be growing, then I'd wait and let them finish out the season. Allowing them to die back naturally will ensure that the plant has stored away all the energy it can in the rhizome for next season. Cutting them early will just interrupt that process.

Definitely remove all old plant material after the plant has "died" back. As David_42 states, this prevents nasty bugs/fungi from overwintering on the remnants and reinfecting the new growth next year. This includes removing any fallen leaves from the ground around the plant site.

kinda off subject but can you grow hops on a apartment balcony... if so, how big of a pot should I plant it in?

orfy said:
Have you seen the size they grow to? !!!!

Yea... I thought I could run a wire or something around the perimeter of the balcony and wrap the plant around that.

I live on a second floor apartment w/ a balcony and I've been considerimg tying this myself. No reason why you couldn't train the plant to wrap in and around the balcony rail horizontally.

Back