La folie clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wegchef

Reaction score
Just wanna make sure I'm brewing this correctly. I took the la folie clone out of BYO, it says to ferment in the primary with wyeast 1056. Move to another bucket, to age. They also list the wyeast belgian lambic yeast 3278. Am I correct in assuming that I pitch the 3278 into the secondary. And yes I do know what happens when I assume. :) just figure I'd ask the questions before I go too far. This is my first sour, any other tips or suggestions would be gladly appreciated. Also I've been reading about aging this beer for upwards of 400 days, is this recommended? Thanks for the help

Just a quick update, just popped the lid on the la folie. There is a plastic looking film on top of the beer, is this normal??? I moved the top layer aside for a sample, the clarity was AMAZING like nothing I have ever brewed before. It's been in the secondary, with the lambic yeast pitched in about 3 weeks now. Thanks for the help

Yea, thats the pellicle, its fine. Could you post the recipe? Thats my girlfriends favorite brew. In plastic you won't need to age for a year, it'll be done in a few months (according to jamil in the Flanders red podcast)

Sounds pretty normal. Still havn't experimented with anything funky/wild/sour yet, but check out the Pellicle Photo Collection in the sticky at the top of this section.

I do not agree that it will be done in a few months.

I agree with tasq. I didn't listen to the podcast but I'm sure the misunderstanding relates to the length of time Jamil suggested keeping it a bucket. Quote from BYO article below (italics are mine):

Buckets are more permeable to oxygen than barrels are, so let the beer condition in the bucket for only about 3 months, then rack it to a carboy for the remaining conditioning time.

I agree with tasq. I didn't listen to the podcast but I'm sure the misunderstanding relates to the length of time Jamil suggested keeping it a bucket. Quote from BYO article below (italics are mine):

Buckets are more permeable to oxygen than barrels are, so let the beer condition in the bucket for only about 3 months, then rack it to a carboy for the remaining conditioning time.

I believe Vinnie said the same thing on one of the shows.

Perhaps, I ferment in glass for the long haul out of similar suspicion. I just remember him pushing the shortened time due to plastic.
Also, Cantillion Iris hops, very interesting, I've never heard of them.

Perhaps, I ferment in glass for the long haul out of similar suspicion. I just remember him pushing the shortened time due to plastic.
Also, Cantillion Iris hops, very interesting, I've never heard of them.

Their website says they use Target hops. That clone is also odd in that it suggests ale yeast, when they use lager for primary. They have a process that would be hard to mimic at home anyway.

I think buckets are too risky, hard to ensure a perfect seal on the lid, too much air and you’ll have vinegar instead of Flemish red after aging. If you want a big of acetic I would split the batch, age a few pints open, and the rest in glass (or a Better Bottle) and blend to taste at bottling.

Back