Apollo hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
Apollo hopa any one have aby experience with this variety. With the current hop situation we are in im looking at alternatives that arent used very often.

Tia
Ken

I don't know but was looking at them at Farmhouse Brewing. Contemplating getting some in my next order. I will have to watch and see what others say.

Farmhouse states use as big american ales. I think I can do that!:rockin:

I've used them at the back of IPA's. Found them to be quite clean as a bittering hop. I haven't used them late in the boil so I can't really speak to flavor and aroma with them.

Just picked up a bunch of Apollo from my LHBS. Plan on using it in a single hop brew, so I can figure it out. Here's a quote I picked up from another thread, might help?

"Apollo is low in Cohumulone, so its bitterness won't have the harsh edge of, say, Chinook. Hops added in the last 15 or 20 minutes often don't pack the bittering punch calculated by brewing software."

I bought 8 ounces and plan on using them in my big IIPA's for bittering just to cut down on the sheer amount of hops. IIRC correctly some have used it late in the boil and gotten a citrus like character out of it but with such a high AA I would just save them for bittering.

I have done a single hop pale ale with them, and used them in IPAs also. They are clean, with a citrus-passionfruit to them (smell and taste). I won't do a single hop again, but combine them with some Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade or similar to get a nice contrast of flavors.

Awesome sounds like its right up my alley. I just picked a pound up from rebel brewer the other day. Im going to make a singke hop pale so i can get a good feeling for their flavor and aroma.

I have done a single hop pale ale with them, and used them in IPAs also. They are clean, with a citrus-passionfruit to them (smell and taste). I won't do a single hop again, but combine them with some Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade or similar to get a nice contrast of flavors.

If passion fruit is a flavor of apollo, i would suggest dry hopping a galaxy IPA with a combo of galaxy and apollo. Unfortunately there is no clear info on apollo. I have heard, overpowering grapefruit flavors, citrusy lemon/orange, now passion fruit...so i really dont know what to pair apollo with as everyone seems to have their own opinion regarding the Apollo hop. Guess I will have to find out.

I've used it for bittering and for aroma at both flameout and in dry hopping. I really like it. Pretty much all of the descriptions above fit it, grapefruity, citrusy/orange, and very clean bittering. I did a big red ale in the fall in which I used it for bittering along with Magnum and then combined it with Amarillo, Centennial, and Simcoe in at flameout ,it's friggin' great IMO. That beer also had a 10 minute Chinook addition, fwiw. I was going to pick up a pound back in the fall but ended up with 5 pounds of other stuff so I don't really need it.

I have 2lbs of Apollo i'm wanting to use....have a single hop IPA in the works with them...according to brewing calc. 2oz over a 60 minute boil are throwing up numbers near 100IBU....

Back