Infusion mashing with infusions higher than boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caps_phisto

Reaction score
Just wondering if there would be an issue infusion mashing with smaller amounts of water at temps higher than boiling. I've got some space issues with my Tun.

TIA

How can you make water higher than boiling without it turning into steam? That's called superheating, and water will no longer be a liquid at temps higher than boiling..

If you can do this without a sealed container??
Physics make this impossible. Once water boils at 212 degrees at sea level it will not get any hotter. Steam will get hotter but as soon as it hits air it cools and will go below boiling point.

I'm sure that someone with a better scientific background could explain this better.

But no, without specialized equipment you can not do it.

Hotter than boiling issue aside... the enzymes for converting grain starches to fermentable sugar are not active above 170F.

From what, a pressure cooker?

By the time you opened the pressure cooker any water over boiling temp would flash off and you'd still have water at or below normal boiling temp unless you could transfer the water from inside the pressure cooker to the MLT without ever opening it.

I use steam injection in my mash, which imparts more energy per volume of water than simple infusion mashing. However, I suspect this isn't exactly what the OP was suggesting...which is still a mystery to me.

By the time you opened the pressure cooker any water over boiling temp would flash off and you'd still have water at or below normal boiling temp unless you could transfer the water from inside the pressure cooker to the MLT without ever opening it.

Oh come now, that was clearly sarcastic ;) Picturing someone submerging their pressure cooker into a mash is hysterical though.

I have to assume that the boiling being discussed is happening in a vacuum so the temperature required for boiling is far less than standard pressure. So if your boiling wort in a vacuum then you could add water boiling at normal pressure or even higher pressure at well above your "normal" boiling rate.

Kirby salesmen need not apply

I have to assume that the boiling being discussed is happening in a vacuum so the temperature required for boiling is far less than standard pressure. So if your boiling wort in a vacuum then you could add water boiling at normal pressure or even higher pressure at well above your "normal" boiling rate.

Kirby salesmen need not apply

And now we're brewing in outer space! :drunk:

I think someone needs to put together a proposal for testing isomerization of alpha acids outside of the ISS. Perhaps the future isn't space beer, but space malt extract.

I see one small problem with your plan.... OP was talking about stepping the mash :D

bokonon said:
i think someone needs to put together a proposal for testing isomerization of alpha acids outside of the iss. Perhaps the future isn't space beer, but space malt extract.

sme!

Back