Will starsan affect my mash pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
Since starsan is no rinse, it just occurred to me that it might be affecting the pH of my mash, can anyone shed some light?

I never have sanitized it before, but for some reason today I did. I always thought anything before the boil didn't really matter too much, but wasn't sure if I was risking anything, guess not.

it is actually possible for lactobacilus to survive in the mash and affect the wort, so its not a terrible idea to sanitize the mash tun. shouldnt be much of a problem if you clean it after use each time. so its probably unnecessary, but doesnt hurt.

sanitizing something like the boil kettle, on the other hand, would be a complete waste of time.

it is actually possible for lactobacilus to survive in the mash and affect the wort, so its not a terrible idea to sanitize the mash tun. shouldnt be much of a problem if you clean it after use each time. so its probably unnecessary, but doesnt hurt.

sanitizing something like the boil kettle, on the other hand, would be a complete waste of time.

Wouldn't the most likely place for the Lactobacilus to be coming from be the grain, so sanitising the mash tun would still do nothing... sanitising the grain on the otherhand :drunk:

As the above poster said, the grain is the biggest source of lacto. There's no reason to sanitize the mash tun, you're going to boil the wort and that will kill the lacto and any other wild yeasts/organisms that may be there. I don't even get the sanitizer ready until I'm midway through the boil. After the boil, nothing touches the wort without being sanitized first.

Back