Wyeast Slap Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdods22402

Reaction score
So I've been making a few brews recently, and I decided to buy some yeast online. What I ordered though was not the dry yeast I'm used to, but instead, a Direct Pitch Activator(?).

I was wondering, is there a way to use some of this package and save the rest for later?

-K

Well if you're making a starter (which you should be with liquid yeast) you just set some aside and store it in mason jars in the fridge. Build up enough of a starter and you'll have plenty of yeast.

The other option is to wash and harvest the yeast out of the fermenter after fermentation is complete.

You can search for both info on making starters and for harvesting yeast. I believe there is at least one sticky on each.

Thank you kind sir! I was thinking about making a starter, but when should I make it? Do I need to break the inner package and allow it to start first? And what exactly is in that package anyhow?

It's a good idea to plan out a starter a couple days ahead, but even 24 hours is better than nothing. The stuff in the pack are just nutrients to jumpstart the yeast, but making a starrter you don't need to bother smacking it, just pitch the yeast in the starter.

So I've got this yeast right? 100 billion in this little amount of liquid. (I'm sorry about all the questions, but liquid yeast is new to me =/ ). So how much of this yeast solution do I need for my starter? I'm starting off with a gallon (I'm trying to make a cyser, by the way), so I was thinking half a quart water, half a quart of apple juice, some of the yeast nutrient, and a teaspoon of yeast mix? I just don't want to overdo it with the yeast since there's so little of it.

For a gallon batch, you'll probably be fine pitching the whole package. Just smack it and let it swell for several hours at room temp to check it's viability. I always recommend a starter with liquid yeast just to be safe. Again, smack and let swell, and pitch the whole pack into a starter. Let the starter ferment for 24 or more hours, then pitch. Either way ya go, you gotta pitch the whole pack. I like revvy's idea of making several small starters and then stepping them up to size to pitch. Stretches that one purchase of yeast out to 4 or more batches of tasty homebrew.

Back