1 gallon recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheldon123

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased 2 1-gallon carboys and was wondering if anyone had any 1 gallon recipes, or would my best bet be to take an existing recipe and divide by 5? I am pretty new to brewing, just did my third batch this past weekend, and have only been doing 5 gallon batches so far.

The hard part about doing very small batches is the smallest thing can throw your whole recipe off. If I'm using a lb of something and accidentally only put 15oz you probably couldn't tell the difference in a 5g batch. However, if your doing a 1g batch and trying to add 3.2oz then even +/- .5 oz could throw your whole batch off. I would recommend doing a mead or apfelwine. Something simple because micro-brewing is tough.

how about getting another one or 2 and do 3 or 4 gallon batches. use different yeast in each. Maybe dry hop each different.

You will prolly have better results.

how about getting another one or 2 and do 3 or 4 gallon batches. use different yeast in each. Maybe dry hop each different.

You will prolly have better results.

After listening to the last Basic Brewing podcast I plan on trying a full 5 gal batch in 5 small carboys with different yeast in each just to experiment. I think it will be a blast and the only diff will be the yeast at the end so less likelyhood I mess up in altering the grain bill!

I plan to do this a few times also. it sounds Cool. I'm considering using the left over apple jugs from making ed worts apple wein. need to research if they will work or be big enough.

But they are free...

I plan to do this a few times also. it sounds Cool. I'm considering using the left over apple jugs from making ed worts apple wein. need to research if they will work or be big enough.

But they are free...

Good idea, I too am about to do Eds apfelwein and i will have to look for the juice in glass jugs. They would be perfect! Thanks for the idea!

Back