"Other" uses for California lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I'm mostly an ale drinker, but I do like some of the bigger, richer lager styles (Oktoberfest/Marzen, dunkel, schwartzbier, bock) enough that I'd brew them occaisionally as a change of pace if I had lagering capability.

My basement floor, though, holds steady at about 60, which is exactly where you want to be to get maximally lager-like results from the California lager strain.

Typical California Common recipes are hoppier than those classic lagers, but tend to have similarly rich grainbills with munich, crystal, etc.

Anyone have experience brewing some of those bigger, richer German lager styles with California lager yeast? Is it worth doing?

It's funny you should mention this... I was wondering the same thing, so I decided to try and brew an Oktoberfest recipe with CA Lager yeast. I don't know how it's going to turn out, but I figure it's worth a shot.

I'm fermenting my O'fest with Wyeast's 1007 German Ale yeast. It's optimum ferment temp is 62deg and will go as far as 55deg...so perhaps that's another option for you.

I brewed an octoberfest with this yeast in the mid 60s as my lagering chest was full.
I've also used it on Schwarz Bier and scottish ale.

Back