Hop Descriptions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
So as I'm enjoying my Maris Otter/Challenger SMaSH, I realize what the Challenger hops remind me of -- raw asparagus!! So that got me thinking, we should create a list of hops with their respective flavors/aromas. Such a list should help all of us when designing beers. Instead of "floral" or "citrus", descriptions should be more specific. Here are two interesting ones I've noticed:

Challenger - raw asparagus

Northern Brewer - candy peanuts (you know those orange marshmallowy things that used to be popular)

beer30, thats perfect! and the asparagus is defintely the hops, not DMS. Here's the summary:

Amarillo - Orange
Centennial - Grapefruit
Challenger - Raw Asparagus
East Kent Goldings - Dirt
Northern Brewer - Candy Peanuts
Summit- Tangerine

its very hard to make such a list because hops vary so much, at the very least you need to use not just the variety of hop but also where it is grown. the chinook hops ive bought from stores are piney and citrusy while my homegrown chinooks are slightly piney but also very woodsy and slightly smokey.

its very hard to make such a list because hops vary so much, at the very least you need to use not just the variety of hop but also where it is grown. the chinook hops ive bought from stores are piney and citrusy while my homegrown chinooks are slightly piney but also very woodsy and slightly smokey.

in both cases, it seems as though the chinook are piney, so lets go with that.

Amarillo - Orange
Centennial - Grapefruit
Challenger - Raw Asparagus
Chinook - Pine
East Kent Goldings - Dirt
Northern Brewer - Candy Peanuts
Summit- Tangerine

Northern Brewer - candy peanuts (you know those orange marshmallowy things that used to be popular)

I believe the candy peanut flavor/aroma is actually banana flavoring :ban:. Maybe you could simplify it down to that... unless you feel candy peanuts are a bit more complex than that. I never really gave it much thought.

I entered an IPA with sorachi ace, i used a TON of them in it, and they diddn't get orange at all. They thought I had oak aged it. so how about:
Sorachi Ace light use - orange
Sorachi Ace heavy use - Oak?

Back