American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am back from Mexico and getting crunk... so, anyway, I ALWAYS rehydrate, ALWAYS, if you don't, well... words cannot explain what you may be in for!

:D

Whoops :( I guess I will find out what I am in for. I think it will be ok, I have another package that I could always hydrate and throw in if things don't go well.

Whoops :( I guess I will find out what I am in for. I think it will be ok, I have another package that I could always hydrate and throw in if things don't go well.

PSSSST, the smiley face means I am BS'ing ya... you shall be fine.

Yeah, you're in for a big headache if not!

Well, here is what happens if you don't hydrate your yeast.

P1040670s.jpg

It is the one on the right by the way. My Apfelwein is not starting off so fast because the yeast said to hydrate and I didn't because I thought who needs to read directions :)

Well, here is what happens if you don't hydrate your yeast.

P1040670s.jpg

It is the one on the right by the way. My Apfelwein is not starting off so fast because the yeast said to hydrate and I didn't because I thought who needs to read directions :)

Lookin' good! My Orange batches always take off like a rocket, too.

This is going to be my next batch but I have a question..

I like hops and IPA's. It seems like there is more hops here than in my last IPA. Just how hoppy is this?

Will Blue Moon drinkers like this when they visit or will it be way to much for them?

Did I mention I'm gonna make it anyway... for me!

This is going to be my next batch but I have a question..

I like hops and IPA's. It seems like there is more hops here than in my last IPA. Just how hoppy is this?

Will Blue Moon drinkers like this when they visit or will it be way to much for them?

Did I mention I'm gonna make it anyway... for me!

This beer uses all Cascade hops which have a medium range AA. Also only an ounce is put in while gathering your wort which is where most of the IBUs come from. The rest of the hops are added with 10, 5, and 1 minute left which add significantly less IBU power than at first wort or at the first boil. Adding hops to secondary doesn't add any IBUs either.

So this beer is well within in the APA range of IBUs.

As far as blue moon drinkers, this will have a more hoppy taste that it, can't say anything about the fruity taste as I have not tasted it yet. I can say that the airlock smells great!!!

I got everything from my LHBS except for US-04. They were out so I got US-05.

How much difference will that make or should I wait until Tuesday to brew so my son can bring me some 04 from the LHBS up by him.

humann's got it right. There are a lot of Cascades in this recipe but the majority are extremely late in the boil or dryhopped. Late additions contribute hop aroma and character, not bitterness.

I've done this with 05 as well - should be fine. 05 is the classic american west coast, clean finish style yeast, and 04 is more english ale style with a bit more maltiness retained in the final product. Let us know how it turns out!

My son is going to pick me up a pack or two of 04 on his way home from Clemson on Tuesday. I'm excited about brewing this with my son on Wednesday...

I can always experiment later but I want the first batch to be "per the recipe"... :)

Per the recipe, it rocks... has to be the best APA I have ever tasted.:rockin:

Brewed it today! It will be hard to wait 4 weeks...

I had a little problem early in the boil. I had used a muslin bag for the FWH addition. I installed a new hop bag in my hop strainer and once the boil started I felt the need to open the muslin bag and drop the hops in the regular hop strainer. Well apparently the new bag had a courser mesh and most of the the hops made it into the wort. I used a metal strainer and fine mesh bag to get most of the hops off the top. The question is how much of the hops were already absorbed into the wort? I wasn't quite sure what to do so I added .50 oz of hops for the 60 minute boil. So it ended up with the 1 oz FWH but then removed after the 45 minutes or so sparging, .50 for 60 minutes and then the regular 10, 5, 1 minute additions.. Not sure how the IBU's and bittering will change.

Thanks

I'm not sure I totally follow you, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Glad you guys are liking the beer!

Sorry I guess I rambled a bit..

I used 1 oz of FWH hops which were there throughout the 45 min fly sparge.

As I heated the wort to a boil, I removed the FWH hops from the small nylon hop bag and placed them in the DIY hop strainer that I made out of PVC and a paint strainer like you've seen here on HBT. The new stainer allowed the hops to leak out into the wort so I managed to scoop up much of them with a strainer bag. End result, Most of the FWH hops were removed before the boil.

I added .50 oz more to replace those strained out.

Maybe the removed hops had already been absorbed into the wort and the .5 oz is additional for a bigger IBU. Or mabye they had done little without boiling water and the .5 oz falls short of the recommended IBU's.

Not sure how this will effect the IBU's since I removed most of the FWH before the boil and replaced them .5 oz unused cascades.

Not really a big deal and I'm not worried.. I'm really just curious if the bitterness will be higher or lower than the original recipe.

Thanks for listening. :rockin:

I have this beer in the secondary with some cascades. I am worried though because I was using a brew belt to warm it up a bit and forgot about it and it was on for like a day with a sweatshirt over it too.

The bucket was pretty warm and even some condensation you can see through the lid.

I know the fermentation was pretty much over, but do you think I will be alright if the temp got up there really high? It could have been in the 80s or who knows, maybe 90s. I don't have a thermometer on this bucket.

This happened after 11 days of fermenting, the gravity was as low as it would have gone I think.

The yeast should have been pretty much done at that point... I am sure you are fine

Due to a variety of reasons I'm strictly an extract brewer. Is there something that can be substituted for the vienna malt if just doing an extract brew? Or can vienna malt just be steeped like crystal?

I have this beer in the secondary with some cascades. I am worried though because I was using a brew belt to warm it up a bit and forgot about it and it was on for like a day with a sweatshirt over it too.

The bucket was pretty warm and even some condensation you can see through the lid.

I know the fermentation was pretty much over, but do you think I will be alright if the temp got up there really high? It could have been in the 80s or who knows, maybe 90s. I don't have a thermometer on this bucket.

This happened after 11 days of fermenting, the gravity was as low as it would have gone I think.

Well, not optimal conditions and you may see some off flavors. The yeast was probably pooped out as mentioned above. But - drinkable? My guess is yes.

The yeast should have been pretty much done at that point... I am sure you are fine

Things are fine, I popped it open last night to see if I should keg it, but a lot of the hops were still above the top of the beer, so I mixed them in a bit and will give them a while longer to sit in there.

I took a gravity reading and tasted it, pretty darn good :)

Did you use any special type of oranges for the zest?

I can get sweet or bitter orange peel from the LHBS. What are your thoughts on that? I can always just go buy some oranges at the store and zest them myself, just wasn't sure if sweet or bitter was the preference.

I use Brewcraft sweet orange peel. I'm sure that it would be better to use the zest of fresh oranges, but I've never given it a shot. Too easy to just grab the ingredients at the LHBS, and I've been happy with the beer so far.

Just kegged this morning after crash cooling outside overnight. This stuff smells so good I was thing about taking a big ol' swig right there.

Anyways, it is carbing up now and I can't wait to taste it.

Just brewed this. I did a 10 gallon batch. Put 04 in one and 05 in the other.

The smell as I would racking to the better bottles was really really nice...
Looking forward to tasting this one.
I got it brewed in time for my New Years Day Bash!

Ahoy hoy,
hmmm this could be interesting, as I used the bitter orange that brewcraft sells. I didnt know they had a sweet till i found it at the OTHER store. Since I stocked up on a couple packages, i hope it turns out well, or Ill have to off it onto co workers. Did anyone other then lil ol me use the bitter orange on this recipe?
A great day to you all!

Medo... you need to slow down, now you are makin' mistakes! One thing at a time, FIX THAT DISHWASHER... or hire one!

Ahoy hoy,
hmmm this could be interesting, as I used the bitter orange that brewcraft sells. I didnt know they had a sweet till i found it at the OTHER store. Since I stocked up on a couple packages, i hope it turns out well, or Ill have to off it onto co workers. Did anyone other then lil ol me use the bitter orange on this recipe?
A great day to you all!

Sounds like you just invented a new recipe! It can't be that much different. Let us know how you like it!:mug:

Dude,
I have a wife and kid, so technically i have a couple dishwashers. However, the mechanical one never argued with me when I pushed it buttons :D
Ill tear it open tonight after i bring in the firewood....its calling for 35 below tonight brrrr.....
off into the sunset i ride....

Yeah, I forgot, you married a dishwasher ;) Good contingency plan!

Doing this one soon. Did you just dump the orange peel in the wort or did you use a hop bag or something? I was thinking a hop bag would be OK.

2oz isn't over the top? The bag of the bag I bought at the LHBS says 1oz per 5gal is typical.

Thanks,

Brew it as it is... it is phenominal. Or, we will beat you!

Just dump in the peel, like you do the hops and such. If you dont dump in the hops, then put the orange peel in the sack too... sure.

Doing this one soon. Did you just dump the orange peel in the wort or did you use a hop bag or something? I was thinking a hop bag would be OK.
2oz isn't over the top? The bag of the bag I bought at the LHBS says 1oz per 5gal is typical.
Thanks,

The first time I brewed this I started out with the same plan, but ended up just dumping in the whole 2 ounces. It turned out great so I kept the full 2 oz in the recipe.

This beer is really coming into prime condition for me. It looks great, so clear and the aroma and taste is awesome. This will definitely be brewed again.

Thanks blacklab!!!

I need to stock up on a lot of cascades at 6oz every 5 gallons.

Back