Beer choice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrck17

Reaction score
Hey guys I found a beer I want to start off with. I am still very excited, I hate that I have to wait a whole month to even get started, though I did buy some of my equipment today, yay. Anyways I want to make an Oatmeal Stout, since, like I said before, I am a big fan of Sam Smith's O-stout. Anyways I am buying my stuff through Austin Homebrew Supply cause of the free shipping deal. What I am curious about is if these beers will be relatively simple to make, since this will be my first brew. If you guys anticipate it may be too much trouble for me, maybe you could suggest a similar alternative, such as a canned kit. Anyways here are the two I am choosing between:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_46_42_159&products_id=312

OR

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_46_43_262&products_id=1771

These two may verywell be the same thing, but they are listed in two seperate categories on the website. Thanks for the help guys, brew happily.

Hi Patrick. Are you brand new to brewing? The "kit" you've indicated looks like a grain kit, rather than a "wort ready to go, just add yeast" kind of thing. If this is your firstbrew, you might want to get the latter kind instead.... If you are game for sparging etc, then hey, why not go for it?

Patrick,

Are you going to do an all extract kit w/ liquide yeast and pellet hops? or are you going to get extract w/ some grains to steep, and the liquide yeast and hop pellets? just make sure you know which style of ingredients "kit" your getting, so you'll have the right gadgets to brew with. either way is not difficult for a beginner, you just may want some info before you do the grai/extract kit. it requires a little more time to steep the grains, sparge the grains, then add your malt extract, hops, etc.

let us know which way your going, and we'l lbe glad to load you up with directions! :~)

Ideally I would like to get something that taste good and isn't too hard to brew...lol maybe that is asking for too much. Also, I'd like to brew something my friends won't laugh at, that way I can possibly get them to chip in next time to ease the cost of this hobby for me. They are typical american beer drinkers and I doubt they are aware that you can brew at home, and I don't want to scare them away from it with my poor brewing abilities. From what I have read the overall simplest way to brew is an extract just add yeast kit. Is that what the canned kits on that website (AHS) are? What I was mainly asking in this thread was IF the linked beer kits were extract or if they required all that other stuff you guys were talking about. I'd like to keep it simple for my first brew. I just want something I can make with a typical intermediate kit (6.7gal plastic fermenter, 5 gal carboy, and the gadgets). The reason I want to keep it from this site is they offer free shipping over 60.

See the site doesn't provide the instructiosn to brew there kits online, and though I know they will be provided with the kit, that will be too late for me to get an idea of if it is a method I want to take. Which is why I ask you guys. If any of you guys know of a kit on this site that you have tried, or one similar, or know for a fact that I can make one a certain way, I welcome you to provide that info.

Sorry if some of this information is vague, or confusing, thanks for the help guys.

patrck17 said:
Ideally I would like to get something that taste good and isn't too hard to brew...lol maybe that is asking for too much. Also, I'd like to brew something my friends won't laugh at, that way I can possibly get them to chip in next time to ease the cost of this hobby for me. They are typical american beer drinkers and I doubt they are aware that you can brew at home, and I don't want to scare them away from it with my poor brewing abilities. From what I have read the overall simplest way to brew is an extract just add yeast kit. Is that what the canned kits on that website (AHS) are? What I was mainly asking in this thread was IF the linked beer kits were extract or if they required all that other stuff you guys were talking about. I'd like to keep it simple for my first brew. I just want something I can make with a typical intermediate kit (6.7gal plastic fermenter, 5 gal carboy, and the gadgets). The reason I want to keep it from this site is they offer free shipping over 60.

See the site doesn't provide the instructiosn to brew there kits online, and though I know they will be provided with the kit, that will be too late for me to get an idea of if it is a method I want to take. Which is why I ask you guys. If any of you guys know of a kit on this site that you have tried, or one similar, or know for a fact that I can make one a certain way, I welcome you to provide that info.

Sorry if some of this information is vague, or confusing, thanks for the help guys.

Both of those kits are (or can be) extract kits. The first includes an ingredient list (kinda) and it looks like it would be pretty easy. The only difference between that and your super basic kit is the grain steeping but that is not difficult. It also doesn't talk about hops...you might want to find out if it uses pre-hopped extract or if there are some hops that come in the kit. Either way I think you will find any extract kit to be pretty manageable. As long as you don't get a mini-mash or all-grain version of the kit you should be good.

I think you are right cygnus, since at the bottom of the page it offers the extract version, or for -less- it offers the mini-mash and all grain version. And good point about the hops, I will call them and find out.

Oh, and I forgot to say, welcome to homebrewing :). You're gonna love it!

I agree with cygnus128. Since it is your first brew experience I think you would be better off using the K.I.S.S. method. Start with an all extract
unhopped. Choose the hops based on the style of beer you are making.
If you are set on the outmeal stout then that is fine too. It looks like it is already hopped.
Keeping it simple will really give you the basic idea of the brewing process and there is less of a chance of getting into trouble. Work your way up from there. The first experience will have you hungry for info...and that's what you need. AHS has many kits that you can start with depending on your tastes. Best of luck to you Man! Let us know how it turns out.

patrick,

even if it is a can of hopped extract, ask for pellet hops to use. the hooped extract is barely noticable due to the extract process. you'll be glad you did, and it'll only cost a couple more bucks.

brew the beer YOU like. you'll be suprised that they'll dig it too, if not for the pure novelty of being homebrew. i'd stick to the stout or just a basic pale ale, and work your way from there.

did you ever find a local HBS? i'd go there, look at the different styles of canned extract kits, and visit with them before you buy. tell them your set-up and get feedback. then you can order what you like from AHBS if it's a better deal.

My "local" HBS really isn't as close as I would like, and I would rather not make the trip. I really think you right about going over there and talking to some of their people. I am sure they get beginner questions all the time in a place like that. I think if I have some extra time in the next couple of weeks I may head over there to pick up the rest of the equipment I need as well as pick up a recipe kit.

I did call Austin Homebrew Supply and they informed me that the extract version of those kits might contain some milled grain, but it will come in muslin bags. So I may have to do a little steeping. It is not prehopped but the kit will come with pellet hops, and there will be detailed recipe instructions provided by them.

Here is about how I would do it I think, correct this if I am wrong:

Heat water to around 155, add grains in muslin bag - let it go for around 30 or 45 minutes or so.

Remove Bag, bring water to a boil, add and dissolve extract.

Add bittering hopps let boil for about an hour

Add flavor/aroma hops and let go for about 5 or 10 minutes

cool it and pitch yeasties, ferment etc etc...

I know that wasn't very descriptive, and I am aware of all the sanitizing and yeast prep procedures, I just want to make sure I have those things listed in the right order. I mainly cant remember if you steep first or add extract first. Just let me know what you guys think.

patrck17 said:
My "local" HBS really isn't as close as I would like, and I would rather not make the trip. I really think you right about going over there and talking to some of their people. I am sure they get beginner questions all the time in a place like that. I think if I have some extra time in the next couple of weeks I may head over there to pick up the rest of the equipment I need as well as pick up a recipe kit.

I did call Austin Homebrew Supply and they informed me that the extract version of those kits might contain some milled grain, but it will come in muslin bags. So I may have to do a little steeping. It is not prehopped but the kit will come with pellet hops, and there will be detailed recipe instructions provided by them.

Here is about how I would do it I think, correct this if I am wrong:

Heat water to around 155, add grains in muslin bag - let it go for around 30 or 45 minutes or so.

I know that wasn't very descriptive, and I am aware of all the sanitizing and yeast prep procedures, I just want to make sure I have those things listed in the right order. I mainly cant remember if you steep first or add extract first. Just let me know what you guys think.

You have it all in the right order. The only think I would add is that you want to bring the wort back to a boil after adding the extract and before adding bittering hops...

Ok one thing, do I add the extract at a high temp like 155, or should it be boiling when I do, or does it really not make a difference as long as it is boiling by the time I add hops? Thanks again for the help guys.

IMO it doesn't make much of a difference. I would bring it to boiling before adding the extract though...that's what I have always done.

I'll just do that then. It all seems pretty straightforward. The only thing I am really concerned about is the sanitizing. I am afraid to mess with the beer much cause of the risk. That is I am uneazy about doing gravity test and moving to a secondary, because I may oxidize or contaminate my beer. And what if I leave my stuff out too long after it has been sanitized etc etc. I don't want my first brew to taste like ass, lol. I am half expecting it to be a kinda crappy, but that is ok with me, gives me something to build on. I am so eager to get started too, it sucks. But these few weeks will give me some time to make sure I have all the equipment and knoweldge, I am reading everything I can. I should be well prepared when brew day comes.

This is an off topic question, but how much beer will fit in your typical party keg, not the cornelius ones brewers use but the ones you get from the beerstores for like college parties. I only ask for comparison purposes. I know that they have to have a bit more then 5 gallons, but I am kinda curious as to how much. I am not very good at approximating volumes from just looking.

patrck17 said:
My "local" HBS really isn't as close as I would like, and I would rather not make the trip. I really think you right about going over there and talking to some of their people.

So I may have to do a little steeping. It is not prehopped but the kit will come with pellet hops, and there will be detailed recipe instructions provided by them.

know what you mean. mine is 1.5 hours away. i just figured you could look at the different brews, hops, etc., and maybe have a better idea of waht your getting.

it's good that it's not pre-hopped. when the HBS buys bulk extract, it's usually better than the canned stuff. the extract/grain kits are much better than the plain extract. you get more flavor and body. the plan looks good, except you need to sparge the grains w/ about 150-160 degree water after they steep for 45 minutes, then bring the volumn up to as close to 5 gallons as possible. keep in mind you'll be adding some poundage of extract. a full, 5 g wort boil is always more beneficial for the brew, hops, etc (watch out for boil overs!). if you have to top up the primary to get 5-5.5 gallons, it's no biggie.

like you said, i'm sure AHS will send intsructions, but you can try www.defalcos.com (my HBS). they have a menu on the left side of the home page. click recipes, then beer recipes, and it will have their instructions on a grain/extract brew. i used their directions for years.....

keep us posted. :D

Patrck17, I went into AHBS today since I work in Austin and needed a few things. I talked to them about their starter kits and they said all of their kits are partial mash kits. You have to steep grains. So, I ask them for the instructions to their outmeal stout kit and they gave it to me. If you would like I think I can scan it in and send it to you. Let me know if you would like to read the instructions.

Awsome DBAib12, thanks for going over there and remembering me while you were there. I would absolutely like to take a look at those instructions if you could scan them that would be awsome. I am not sure if my email is avaiable, but I will PM it to you just incase. Thanks agian for asking for me. Did you pick up any goodies while you were there?

Absolutely, My father is coming for a visit and wants to brew a famous ESB of mine. I went into AHS for 5.2 buffer and some grains. AHS does not sell british pale malt so I had to get it from HomebrewHQ in Dallas. My father stopped by and picked it up for us . He thinks he helps but mostly he just drinks and watches the magic. Are we there yet? :) I remembered you and ask the guys at AHS what they had to get you going. They gave me the instructions and the minimal equipment list. I will post them both.

prosit

Latest posts

Back