How long is saved yeast trub good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I've got some White Labs British Ale Yeast that I've saved from a batch from late January (January 26th to be exact) and I wonder if you all think it would still be any good?

After racking the batch to secondary I left a bit in the carboy, swirled to get the trub in suspension then put it into sterilized canning (Mason) jars. I've had it refrigerated since then.

Should it still be useable? If so, does anyone recommend against using it??

ian said:
I've got some White Labs British Ale Yeast that I've saved from a batch from late January (January 26th to be exact) and I wonder if you all think it would still be any good?

After racking the batch to secondary I left a bit in the carboy, swirled to get the trub in suspension then put it into sterilized canning (Mason) jars. I've had it refrigerated since then.

Should it still be useable? If so, does anyone recommend against using it??
make a starter...if it's alive, you'll know. if it's not, don't use it.

It should be fine. White Labs states that the best before date is 120 days after bottling, and you're well within that. You're gonna make a starter with it, right?

El Pistolero said:
It should be fine. White Labs states that the best before date is 120 days after bottling, and you're well within that. You're gonna make a starter with it, right?

that's the plan!:)

What if it's trub from a dry yeast, say, Nottingham ale yeast? OK, if I save trub from any yeast, is there a chance that it will still be good two weeks from now when I brew my next batch ? I understand the smell/ taste/try method, but can you answer the question for me in advance ?:confused:

I saved my dry ale yeast trub from my weisse primary and put that in the fridge, I made a yeast starter today to use with my 06.06.06. ale. I think its fun to save the yeast, it helps create a specific style for all of your brews.

Back