CO2 Refills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalman77

Reaction score
Hey, just got into kegging and have a 20# tank I need filled. I live in Wallingford, any suggestions on where to take it for filling?

Thanks!

I've been to Hogans Alley Paintball in Meriden to get my 5 lb tank filled. $20. Not sure how much for 20 lb but the guys there are nice. They even replaced a seal once on my tank for virtually nothing.

I just got a 5 lb filled at a fire extinguisher place for $10. I'm in KY, so there may be regional prie differences.

Airgas.... but they were ridiculously expensive for a 5lb tank.. also they don't fill they swap, they have a bunch of locations though so they are convinient.

Nobby Bev in Plainville, CT does refills, not sure of price yet; but now that I have a 20lb aluminum tank that is pretty I'll be going there so I can keep my pretty tank :)

shoreline gas in hamden closed last week. they are only open at their location in durham open 7-4 week days (****ty hours).
does anyone know where else to go in this area? i have a #10 tank and used to pay $25ish.

shoreline gas in hamden closed last week. they are only open at their location in durham open 7-4 week days (****ty hours).
does anyone know where else to go in this area? i have a #10 tank and used to pay $25ish.

Use to go to shoreline too but they stopped filling tanks mid summer and only did swaps if you had an account. Airigas in Wallingford dose swaps price was a slight bit higher called a ton of places and was told CT passed some new food grade gas rules and no one wants to refill anymore due to tank certifications could be BS only found one place to refill but had to drop off tank and return later to get it 20 minutes away if you find a pace love to know

There's also an airgas in North Haven. I just bought a tank there two weeks ago, and they do refills.

I just found Aero All Gas on main st in Hartford. They fill tanks and it was $17.02 for my 5 lb tank.

Swapped out two 5# tanks at Airgas in North Haven a few weeks ago. Was charged $49. A bit steep. The guy said that was WITH a discount. Looking at the receipt, there was tax as well as a $5 hazmat fee. This company is a corporate entity whose prices are directed towards businesses, not homebrewers. It's nice to have something close, but I wish it wasn't so expensive.

For anyone in the Danbury area, Hocon on Payne Rd (near I84 exit 8), now fills Co2 as well as beer gas and oxygen. They will fill CO2 on the spot, but you will need to leave beer gas and oxygen tanks for a few days, or you can swap for the same price.

I recently heard that Foxon Park (local soda company) will fill co2 tanks - not replace. I forget who I was talking to but they said it was inexpensive and they fill.

103 Foxon Blvd, East Haven, CT 06513
(203) 467-7874

Check your local paintball pro shops. Almost always fill while you wait. Screw praxair and airgas and their over priced fees.

I've been going to Nobby Beverage in Plainville for a few years. Paul is a great guy, especially if you have questions about keg/soda equipment. Prices are reasonable, but it's a drop-off and then pick up in a few days situation. They also have an exchange program where I "bought" the tank from them. To me, that was worth it, especially upgrading to a 5lb tank from the 2.5 I had.

OK...Just started kegging and went to Aero All-Gas in Hartord. Outside of the general location of the place on Main Street in North Hartford (tip: Go over your lunch hour), the place was great.

Cost $17 all-in to fill the tank. I have shiny new aluminum one, so it was important to have it filled instead of swapped. Got in and out in under 15 minutes and my tank was ice cold! Really went out of thier way to make me feel welcome too...As a newbie, I wasn't sure how it worked.

Friend of mine gets his tank swapped at Airgas in Manchester...He said it costs him $37 and it's a swap, and if you don't make a point of it, they could end up swapping out your aluminum tank for a steel one.

So there's one place to goto and one place NOT to goto...

I got my first tank at Airgas in Stratford. I paid something like $70 for a tank deposit fee on a 5 lb tank, filled. I like this because eventually when this tank goes beyond it's date I can just bring it back to them and swap intgo a new one. In the mean time, it's like I bought the tank, except that buying a tank and filling it would have been more expensive. It's almost like the first fill was free.

In the meantime, I found out that my local beer distributor is happy to have me walk-in and refill my tank for $20. Drinx unlimited. Really friendly toward homebrewers. And they'll sell you corny kegs for $35. They need some TLC but I bought 4, cleaned them up and they work perfectly. They even pressure tested them for me before I left.

That's in Norwalk, so I know it doesn't help you upstate guys, but I'm sure you have local distributors up there you might want to check out.

Hello CT Brewers! Sammy here and I thought I would just update the thread on some filling options for those of us in the South west part of the state.

Maltose Express (Homebrew store in Monroe) does CO2 tank exchanges for 18.

New Milford Fire Supply does refills for 18 and hydro testing for 25.

Hope this helps any/all of you!

I will be hitting up NM fire supply in the next two weeks my pale ale should be good to go by then!

Cheers!

I went to Nobby Beverage in Plainville today, as I found out last night a new run of hose I had added to my keezer set-up had a leak. Very happy with the outcome. Dropped off my 5# tank for refill, and picked up a 15# on their tank rental/deposit plan. $75 deposit, and a $16 for the CO2, no tax. Not sure what the 5# charge will be, probably $10-$12 I guess. They were extremely friendly and happy for my business.

Downside is the hours are a little limited - 9-4 Tuesday thru Friday, and they refill the tanks on mondays. I'm in no rush to pick up the 5 pounder, but I'll like the flexibility to have a two tank rotation since CO2 refill/swap doesn't work well with my typical work schedule.

Hey All, TECH Air in Berin does 5# c02 exchanges for 14.89 walk in walk out. Does anyone know where to get the elusive beergas, i asked about nitro and they have it but i was unaware until now that beer gas is a real thing.

Thanks for the info, sketchykg, I was going to call them to ask. The wife asked me to look into a nitro tap and I already do tank exchange with Nobby

Roybal and Sons Fire Equipment in Middletown (33 Forest St, 860-347-2189) refills while you wait. I've been using them for years. Very friendly people. They even did a tank inspection one time while I waited. Price under $20 for the refill (can't remember exactly right now).

one of the reasons I went with paint ball canisters. Dicks sporting goods 20oz refills are $4.75 always open always available. quick and easy. I use three canisters and never run out. Plus every fifth bottle filled is free.

Roybal and Sons Fire Equipment in Middletown (33 Forest St, 860-347-2189) refills while you wait.
Is this out of somebody's home? I didn't see any signs on the google maps. Just curious. Always looking for good fill up spots. Airgas is way over charging.

Is this out of somebody's home? I didn't see any signs on the google maps. Just curious. Always looking for good fill up spots. Airgas is way over charging.

No. It's a full fledged business in a decent size building.

@kdrame, thanks, good find on Roybal if I'm in a pinch.

@mtyquinn, looks like Roybal is right next to the RR tracks.

Also, I checked with Nobby Beverage about nitro. They do a beer gas mix, but they don't do pure nitrogen. I wanted pure nitro for my cold brew coffee on tap otherwise you get carbonic bite and with cold-brew, you deliberately try to get rid of the bitterness of the coffee. I bought a nitro tank from Bo at Beer & Wine Makers Warehouse in Hartford. I can do a tank swap with him at a reasonable price.

Back