adding molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frige

Reaction score
I like to add some sort of sugar to my beer. I know a lot of you guys frown on it, but after making a few batches without it the beers seem boring and flat. In the past I have tried honey but really dont like the aftertaste to much. I made a couple of batches with pure cane syrup and they turned out real nice.
I found some molasses and am going to give it a try.

Question, Should I add this during to boil or to the fermentor? In the past I always put it in at the end of seeping my grains and mixed it well with the extract.

Add it in on flame out. Be carefully on the amout. Really strong taste so it's easy to over do it.

I have a small bottle it is only 12 fl oz. I figured that it would have a stronger flavor than the cane syrup.

It depends how much molasses you like and how it would work with the style. I've put 2 oz (by weight) of light molasses in a nut brown and it's noticeable. At least one friend didn't care for it. On the other hand I put 8 oz of blackstrap molasses in my Taddy Porter clone and it absolutely nails the flavor.

Well I chickened out after reading a few posts on how molasses ruined the taste of their beer. The beer I made yesterday was a fat tire clone and Im not sure how it would work out. A porter sounds like a good one to try it with. I need to make another batch to keep my pipeline full, so I will nose around my lhbs and see what kind of recipe he has laying around.

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter is an example of a molasses-heavy beer. If you've never tried it, it's worth seeking out. As I said in my post above, I find that 8 oz of blackstrap in 5 gallons captures the flavor well. In lower amounts - say 1-4 oz - it lends a rum-like nose.

Back