Which thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleyboy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have recently switched to AG and have now gone through 2 digital thermometers. I don't know if immersing them in water did them in or what, but I can't buy a new thermometer every time I brew. Anyone have a recommendation on which thermometer will stand up to the task? Thanks!

Well, you have two choices. You can buy a Thermapen now, or you can spin your wheels buying a series of cheap thermometers and ultimately buy the Thermapen a few weeks from now anyway. It's really up to you.

I just started as well and wish I would have listened to the Thermapen people. I have a Thermoworks RT600C and it is good for the price $19.00 but I had some problems with it on brew day. My problem is I have already spent more than I had intended on thermometers so I am stuck until the holidays when Santa will be a delivering me a new Thermapen. I would avoid Taylor thermometers like the plague I have bought several different types of Taylors and they have all been garbage. Also probe thermometers seem like a good idea but the probe wire is not waterproof and it will mess up.

What kind of digital thermometers did you get? The ones with the cable or the instant read pen type? I have had both and a variety of them and never had a problem. I can tell you that if you get the ones, Taylor or otherwise, that have the cable going to a stainless probe.. the cable end can't be submerged or even sprayed. They can be saved if you bake them in an oven to get rid of the moisture in them.

I've had a different experience than Normnmiles.. I love the Taylor thermometers.. pen type and cable. You just have to know what you can/can't do with them.

But, I do agree.. Thermopens are great. I got one of the referb's and was not disappointed.

I get the ones with the cable and probe. I like to drop them in my mash tun to monitor temps without opening it up, didn't know I couldn't do that! I'm afraid I'll loose heat if I open it up several times to check temps.

I get the ones with the cable and probe. I like to drop them in my mash tun to monitor temps without opening it up, didn't know I couldn't do that! I'm afraid I'll loose heat if I open it up several times to check temps.

Me too! That's how I messed two of my thermometers up. I then read the instructions which said the wire was not waterproof and to not submerge the cable. Geesh who reads instructions anyways :drunk:

as mentioned, some probes are savable.. I know some who have "deep fried" the probe.. the hot oil boils out moisture, which shorts the probe (I guess) but when the oil gets down into the hollow of the probe it gels and seals it.. I've never had to do it.. altho I may have inadvertently as I use the probe frequently while doing long cooks of pork butts.. they have enough grease floating around in the air to cover everything.

normnmiles said:
Me too! That's how I messed two of my thermometers up. I then read the instructions which said the wire was not waterproof and to not submerge the cable. Geesh who reads instructions anyways :drunk:

Yeah, who knew! I didn't read the instructions. I thought I knew how to use a thermometer so I just used it like I thought I should. Oh well. Guess that's how we learn! Would the steam hurt it if I don't totally submerge it in the mash tun? Or should I just use the instant read type thermometer? Thanks guys!

Good question.. I'd think the steam would easily condense on the ss webbing around the wires and wick down into the probe. When I first started using them, I was careful to turn the bend (cable) end of the probe down to help prevent that. But, as mentioned above, I think I got enough congealed grease into the end cable end of the probe to prevent anything from getting in. YMMV

Well, you have two choices. You can buy a Thermapen now, or you can spin your wheels buying a series of cheap thermometers and ultimately buy the Thermapen a few weeks from now anyway. It's really up to you.

I did the above, I jacked-up a lot of beer doing it!! I love my thermapen.

If a remote probe thermometer is something you REALLY want, note that you can insert the probe through a length of silicone tubing to waterproof it between the probe and up the length of wire. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/remote-probe-thermometer-wort-proofing-26905/

If you buy the CDN DTTC unit from my website, I include a length of silicone tubing for you to do it yourself.

I am working on an inexpensive and easy method of installing a probe through the side of a cooler and I just need to order the parts to make it happen. That way you can just stick the probe in, since that's waterproof already.

If you're not willing to use the silicone sheath method, you'll have to use a handheld and just stop checking the mash temp so often. In that case, I recommend the CDN DTQ450 that I sell unless you're ready to drop $90 on the thermapen.

The CDN DTQ450 unit i have didn't last a year. And I didn't use it much or drop it in the wort.... odd... hopefully others have better fortune.

I finally killed my first DTQ that I bought in 2009 by accidentally throwing it about 6 feet in the air over concrete. The LCD is funky and I can't read it well. The thing is, I don't mind replacing it every two years at this price.

+1 on the Thermapen.
An excellent simple design. Fast response.
A joy to use (at least compared to other thermometers I have).

Had the same problem with losing heat in my cooler style mlt when checking the temp.
Once I got the Thermapen, I could easily see that I also had a wide temp variation in my mash.
My solution to the heat loss and the temp variation was to use a simple manual rims with the
mlt draining to the bk and the march pump returning heated liquid to the mlt.

Well, there's your problem. Probe thermometers are really not dependable, in my experience. I went through three of them before giving up on them.

Back