Need a good ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinctbrewer

Reaction score
Looking to brew another ipa, just had the hop head double ipa from Midwest, loved it

I like the real strong high abv hoppy iPa's

Thanks

I've done a lot of IPAs from our recipe database: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

Some of them are all-grain recipes, but they are easily converted to extract if you see one that looks interesting to you!

I make my "DFH 60 minute clone" often, but it's probably hard for some to get amarillo and simcoe hops right now.

I'm an extract/PM brewer. I thought I'd throw out my favourite kit-based IPA. It has gone through several versions but the basics are the same. It goes like this:

Converted from metric

Big Island IPA

3.75 lbs. Cooper's OS Real Ale kit
2.42 lbs. LDM (light DME)
1.25 lbs. Amber LME
.33 lbs. 40L Crystal malt
.7 oz. Cascade (20mins)
.7 oz. Nelson Sauvin (10mins)
.35 oz. Cascade (dry hop)
.35 oz. Nelson Sauvin (dry hop)
.35 oz. Amarrilo (dry hop)
5.5 gallons water
US-05 pitched @ 68* brewed@ 65*
1 oz. Oak chips
4.2 oz. dex (bulk prime)

OG 1.058 FG 1.012

Method: Steep grains in 2 quarts of water @ 155* for 30 mins., sparge with another 2 q of warm water into kettle. Top up kettle to 14 quarts and bring to a boil. Remove the kettle from heat and add the malt extract minus the kit. Bring the kettle back to a boil for 60mins making the hops adds. After 60mins cool the wort in the kettle as quickly as possible (I use the ice water bath method for 20-30mins). Pour cooled wort to the FV and add the Cooper's kit. Mix well. Top FV up to 5.5 gallons with cold water (adjust temperature of the water depending on temperature of wort). Mix well. Take gravity reading. Sprinkle oak chips on surface. sprinkle yeast dry. Dry hop at apropriate time after krausen dies back (5-7 days). Rack to secondary after 2 weeks. Bulk prime with suggested amount of dex. any time after 3-4 weeks.

This brew has medium body with a very creamy tan coloured head that last for the duration of the mug-full. The hops/oak gives this one a really nice orange zest sort of thing that is quite pleasing and very unique.

This is my favorite IPA I've brewed thus far.

.75lbs Crystal 20
.75lbs Crystal 80
10lbs LME

Simcoe 1.75 @ 60
Centennial .5 @ 60
Simcoe .25 @ 30
Centennial .25 @ @30
Simcoe, Citra, Centennial .5ea @15
Citra Zythos 1ea @ 5
Citra 1 @ Flame out

Dry hop 2oz Citra for 10 days

Steep the Crystal at 155 for 30 min.
I did 5lbs of LME at the beginning and the rest at 15.
1056 yeast with a 1.5L starter.
OG 1.074
FG 1.017
ABV 8.53
IBU 148 according to Brewersfriend.com

I too love big hoppy beers. The choice of hops was pretty much what I had on hand. If I were to do it differently, I'd have a little less in the beginning and maybe the same or more in the end.

The beer came out really nicely balanced IMO, its definitely not sweet and the hops kill the alcohol flavor. The color is a little dark, more like a red. I might use less of the 80 and more of the 20 next time.

Go big!

If you know the estimated OG then try and "match" it with IBU's so OG 1.060 = 60 IBU. This pretty much creates a balanced IPA and is how I start all my IPA and IIPA recipe designs then refine them. Just remember that hops @60min are for bitterness (most of your IBU's) and late @20min and @15min are flavour, and the @5min are aroma so adjust when you add the hops to tailor the beer to your tastes. ALso you might find that steeping the crystal malt really increases sweetness which could be good or bad depending on what you were going for.

Have fun and enjoy your brew!

Back