Vending Machine Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybrinks

Reaction score
I thought some folks would get a kick out of this.

My 1st chamber was a chest freezer, but it went TU. So, I was considering my next move for a chamber...I didn't want to buy another used chest freezer and have it fail...and I surely didn't want to buy a new one. So I considered building a "closet" out of wood and using a refrigeration unit from a vending machine. I work for a "Large Beverage Company" and vending machines get sent to the scrap yard after a certain age....so I have certain perks when it comes to equipment such as this. Then it came to me....why build something from scratch when a complete vending machine has everything I need...

It's sealed, secure, insulated and has a refrigeration unit that is replaceable without brazing if it fails.... I can just remove it, and put in another one...So...I saved a vendor from the metal grave yard and gave it a new home!!

I removed the vend stack and installed some brackets, wood shelves....put in a ranco temp controller and.....that's it....my new fermentation chamber was born. As you can see from the pics, I can fit quite a lot in there. I have been using it for 2 years and it has worked wonderfully. I run the refrigeration unit in the summer, and power a 100 watt light bulb in the winter.

I know that not everyone will want...or have access too...a large vending machine...but if you do, it is a great way to ferment or age your beer.

I still plan to dress it up with some plywood...and get rid of the graphics....obviously I smudged up the pic to hide the brand...but I'm sure I didn't fool everyone. :cross:

Enjoy!

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

very nice, I have a vendomatic to work on, glass bottle 8,12, 22oz plus can rack

Is that an older model "Vendo"? Sounds fun...are you planning on using it for what it's designed to do...or butcher it like I did? :)

nope I have all parts, i cut the r12 deck out and am modifying a r134 mini fridge with a muffin fan in there. bottle is 25cents a vend green dr pepper glass door on left pull to vend.

I did get a glass door 7ft tall merchandiser and mod that into a ferm chamber I posted it on here

Oh, I so want one of those. It would be perfect for my man cave/lab. It would fit the decor and could be a conversation piece to beat all. I wonder if the local large bottling and distributing co here locally would sell one of their old units for a decent price? I'd be willing to bump it above the standard scrap metal price a bit. That could work out nicely if I could get a few and convert them for sale. It would reduce the cost of mine to almost zero. That would be a big happy in my book. Hmmmm, now you have me thinkin, and thats a dangerous thing fer me.
Thanks for the great idea.
Bob

This is just like mine except, mine is a green DR Pepper, less were made with the DR Pepper branding.

P1010055.JPG

Vendo 90 I have all the bottle racks and the coin mech, just need to service the mech, it is currently rigged to free vend.

90 (6-10oz bottles)

81 (12oz bottles )

8oz coke bottles work, and I have about 7 cases of those little guys for small soda batches

Back