kiwi lime wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, I know making alcohol at home in certain states is illegal, but I live in canada and its not, so heres my question...

Im going to try to make a kiwi and lime liquor?

should I just use water sugar and yeast and let it ferment into alcohol then move it into a secondary with kiwi and lime?

or should I just let the kiwi and lime ferment in the primary? Im worried that the kiwi will ferment away and lose its taste that way...

also, any recommendation for a particular yeast to use?

thanks again guys your awesome

Not to be rude, but I would recommend finding another forum to talk about this on. You'll get more experienced responses and will offend less people. Also, this forum is about fermented beverages, not distilled ones. That being said...

In the US it's legal to homebrew (i.e. beer, cider, wine, mead), however it is not legal to distill alcohol without a permit. Kiwi should be fine to ferment, I'm not so sure about lime. Distilling will impart the flavor of what is used, but it won't be strong. Odds are that you'll have to add kiwi after the fact anyway. To save yourself money, I would use sugar water.

As for yeast, I would use super yeast or whatever it's called that can get you a very high ABV (20% or higher I think?). That will mean that you'll have a higher alcohol content. Best of luck, be safe, enjoy your firewater, and don't go blind.

fermenting high ABV is not illegal. He never said he was going to distill, so seems fine to me.

Yeah he never said he was distilling.

I would suggest searching the web, specifically Jack Keller's website, for a kiwi and or lime wine recipe. I couldn't find any recipes on here but Jack Keller has made wine out of nearly everything. Find some recipes for both Kiwi and Lime and combine them. I'll see if I can find any.

*Edit*
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Kiwi

Key lime down by the bottom, check it out to get some ideas.

Im going to try to make a kiwi and lime liquor?

This line tipped me off. I could have just misunderstood the post. CROM, are you wanting to make wine or liquor? If you are wanting to make wine, disregard my post and the recommendation to use sugar and water, as well as the yeast! It will be a crappy wine if you do.

I want to make liquor I guess, its just, theres no section for it...

I started already, using

nottingham ale yeast,
15 kiwis
6 limes,
6 gallons of water,
7 cups of sugar

the OG was 1.035...
right now its bubbling in the fermenter, so heres hoping it turns out nice

Are you planning on distilling? Because liquor is a distilled spirit and a sweet one at that. If you're not distilling you're just making a wine. And an OG of 1.035 will give you somewhere between 4 and 5% alcohol max and certainly wouldn't be sweet like a liquor.

If you do plan on distilling be wary, this is a primarily US based site and since distilling is illegal in the US the mods on here tend to lock threads on distilling.

ah hell even if he did distill that, he'd end up with like 6oz of 80proof.

Yeah I dont know much about distilling at all...

I guess Im just fermenting this bunch... the goal was around the 5% mark anyways... I was thinking that come bottling day, if this stuff wasnt sweet tasting then Id just add some kiwi and lime extract aswell... I mean, I figured id lose some of the kiwi taste in the fermentation anyways...

so far its bubbling like a champ though...

I think he may have meant "liqueur." It's much like a cordial. If that's the case, you might find this page useful: http://www.liqueurweb.com/ Otherwise you might consider trying your hand at wine, beer or mead; there are a lot of variations for those, I'm sure you'll find something you'll like. There are recipes out there for kiwi and/or stawberry/kiwi wines, here's one place to start: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques71.asp Regards, GF.

I recently checked out some books from the library on making liquors. What they were doing was taking a base spirit, like vodka, rum, brandy, etc and infusing it with ingredients like fruit, spices, extracts, etc and adding sugar to make it a liquor. Totally legal, and takes about 2 weeks to a month to do. Try searching for either books on liquors or cordials.

Try taking some sliced kiwi and some lime peel and soaking it in 190 proof alcohol. Strain it and add sugar and water. Kind of like a kiwi/lime lemoncello.

Back