How much oxy clean to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Just switched to oxy clean free from pbw, just SO much cheaper. For cleaning kegs, buckets, better bottles, how much should I use per gallon? I've been just dumping about a tbsp in a better bottle, adding about a half gallon of hot water, shaking for a couple mins, then triple rinsing with about a quart of hot water (each rinse).

I've heard of soaking overnight for tough gunk, but I think you'd have to fill the vessel with water (that's a lot). How much oxy per gallon?

When I soak overnight, I fill the OxyClean scoop to 2 for a filled 6 gallon BB soak. Works like a charm.

I use 1 tea spoon for 4L, so maybe 1TSP for 1g, I'd say.

I honestly just let it soak for 5min and I never got any problem

Apprarently I use way too much. 1 full scoop per 6 gallon bucket. I always thought the numbers on the scoop represented gallons.

Dang and I am using way way to much. Only time I use it is soaking labels off and I go a scoop per gallon....Labels fall right off though and real fast

Good to know on labels I've used ammonia and a little liquid soap which works great but I never have ammonia around.

I use 4 tablespoons per 6 gallon carboy, mix with 1 gallon of hot water and shake, then fill the rest of the way with warm water and soak 24-48 hours and EVERYTHING comes off! Not a single spot left when I do this!

Soaking is key! You can't get the crap off a carboy without either soaking or scrubbing with a brush...just sloshing around won't do it!

It lloks like I'm using too much also but what the heck, it's cheap and it works. I'll start using 1 TSP per gallon and see how that works.

I have been getting some beer stone built up in my plastic fermenting bucket and when I racked it off today I filled it with 6 gallons of hot water and 4 scoops of oxyclean. I just checked it and it is dissolving and should be clear by morning.

Man the build up of beerstone was pretty thick as well. I had figured if this did not work I would toss the bucket and start with a new one. Kind of glad it is working

I have been doing a two-step.

It’s at the rate of two tsp per gallon generic oxi, wait ten minutes, then add 1/4 tsp of PBW.

Better than oxi, cheaper than PBW.

Latest posts

Back