yeast stuck in corner of smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drums09

Reaction score
Brewed a 5 gal batch of an English nut brown ale today. I activated the yeast smack pack last night (Wyeast 1099), let it sit overnight, and when I pitched it today there was a corner on the inside of the foil pouch that looked like the yeast has hardened/stiffened to the point it wouldn't pour out. I confirmed that the smack pack was broken/the pouch did swell up fully.

Main question is whether it is critical to use every last bit of yeast that is in the pouch. I used about 90% of what was in the pouch, but ended up throwing the last little bit away.

Provided you had good aeration, I suspect you'll get good reproduction and good fermentation.

After having two Wyeast yeasts arrive DOA this summer, I will never not make a starter. Fortunately, I had just started making starts with the first DOA. A starter will ensure you have viable yeast and will jump start your reproduction.

In the last few minutes of poking around the web, I learned that yeast starters are both easy to make, and can have a significant impact on the final brew. I'm only on my third batch, so I got a little freaked out when my smack pack had some gooey stuff that was stuck in the corner of the pouch. Thanks!

Back