First Crack at Recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TysonWD

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got 3 batches of beer, and 3 batches of mead under my belt. I am going to attempt my first personal creation! Let me know if I'm way off the mark or something. I used Brew Target to get within the guidelines along with the bjcp style guidelines

Tyson's Americal Amber Ale (Extract)

Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal

Fermentables

6.6 lbs Pale Malt Extract
8.0 oz 30L Crystal Malt
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt

Hops

2.5 oz Cascade (60 minute boil)
0.5 oz Centennial (5 minute boil)

Yeast

Wyeast American Ale

Here's the target numbers:

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
IBU: 28
SRM: 13
ABV: 5%

Let me know what you think! Also, what is your opinion on shelf life of grains? I have some leftover grains from previous batches that I was considering using. They're all crushed from the LHBS, and under 1 year old. They're kept in a cabinet in a ziplock bag with the air removed. Safe to use? Or order new stuff?

Thanks!

Tyson

Since your grains are not your major source of fermentables I'd think that if the grains smell good you should be alright with year old grain. If you're concerned about their flavor, try a grain or two of each and see how it tastes and feels in your mouth. If it tastes good, it should be good.

Back