International Pale Lager I Call it Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
South German Lager
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5 ish
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10-14 days at 50-55
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Lager 4+ weeks in secondary or keg
Additional Fermentation
Move the primary to room temp for a few days before lagering
Tasting Notes
Balanced. Something you\\'ll go after when you want a beer.
6 lbs 2 row or pils (boil the pils 90 minutes)
2 lbs vienna
1 lb light munich
.25 lb carapils
.25 lb aromatic or melanioden

2 oz hallertau hops- FWH

Single infusion at 153.

This beer is not a lot of things and for that reason you will want to drink it. It's not harsh, not too malty, not too dry, not too heavy. It appeals to everyone as long as they like beer. Whether it's a Miller Lite drinker or a beer snob. The Miller Lite drinker will drink it because its clean, fairly light in color and not off-putting. The beer snob will drink it because they'll appreciate the subtle maltiness and balanced feel.

I like this beer brewed as is, but also feel it's a nice base recipe to play with whether it be hops, yeast, or malts. You'll end up with a good beer as long as you don't stray too far. Don't make brewing this beer complicated. Just use good techniques, a nice starter or slurry and proper ferment temps. Pitch cool. I think any lager yeast will do well, even something like Notty fermented cool. There's enough character from the Munich to hide extremes in water chemistry yet it's delicate enough to feel like a lighter style lager.

I suppose an extract version would look like the above recipe minus the 2 row mashed at 150 for 45 minutes in a gallon and a half of water. Use a paint strainer bag to contain the grain or pour the mash through a strainer or colander. 4 lbs of extra light DME added with 15 minutes in the boil should get you in the ballpark.

I've made better beer and beer I enjoy more than this. I love my big IPAs and imperial stouts. However, I feel this recipe is worth posting because I don't know anyone who would be disappointed to drink or brew this so long as they enjoy beer. Its forgiving enough for a beginner with a couple brews under their belt, yet challenging enough for the seasoned brewer who's critical of their beer and techniques or might want to play around with ingredients. Enjoy.

This looks great. I haven't lagered yet, but will definately have to add this to my list for when I do! Thanks for sharing!

After reading through some of the other light lager recipes, I just realized how close it was to the Lakeside Lager recipe posted here... though quite a bit lighter. I hope that's a credit to malt profile.

Back