Secondary Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesw801

Reaction score
Hi, just a question. Is secondary fermenting necessary for a blonde ale I got in the primary fermenting carboy right now? The primary fermenting has slowed down, but was just wondering about the secondary fermenting. Thanks

Nowadays many of us opt for a long primary instead. Leave it for a month, then bottle.

It is discussed quite thoroughly in this one.

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

While I agree with Revvy about skipping the secondary vessel on most beers, I do not think it is necessary to keep the beer in primary for a month before bottling. It certainly won't hurt...and with some bigger, darker beers it certainly will help,...but with something like a blonde ale, assuming you had a healthy fermentation, I would have no problem bottling after 10-14 days in the primary.

Experiment with it. Bottle some as soon as you want, once FG is stable though, and bottle the rest later. That way you'll know exactly what you want to do to get the desired results from your beer.

Back