Adding Hops to beer kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys, im about to add hops to my beer kit.

Its Coopers Bitter.
I have 110g Amarillo and 110g Citra to use. (4oz each)

So what do you recommend ? Hop Tea ?

Do i boil half of the beer kit and add hops to it for 30mins ?

Please tell me what to do whith these hops and how to do it :)

Best Regards

Depends what you want from the hops! If you want bitterness than calculate how many ibu's you want, and then decide on a boiling time. if you want flavor, I would add them at 10-15 mins and if you want aroma, toss them in at the end of the boil.

Adding 8 oz to a batch would be a lot but you could mix them and "continuously hop" for 30-60 mins :D

I would throw in an oz of each towards the end of the boil (10 minutes or less) for some nice citrus flavor, but it's your beer so do what you want. It will be beer no matter what you do!

The cooper's "kit" cans are pre hopped,the OS cans are bittered only with a little Pride of Ringwood hops. The other higher end cans have different flavor hops & what not added. Don't boil pre-hopped cans,as it will destroy the hop profile. Not to mention,if boiled long enough,caramelize the sugars in the malt,& darken the color. You could try a "hop tea" in the brew kettle (at the beginning) with a half ounce (15g) of each hop for 15minutes. I did that before & it worked pretty good.
But use a hop sack to keep the pellets contained,as they disintegrate back into granules. And just boil the hops for the 15 minutes. Then,take it off the heat to mix in the cooper's can till the thick syrup can no longer be scraped off the bottom of the kettle. Dry hopping works well too. But for aroma,& some little bit of flavor. Then,put the lid on it & let it steep for 15 mins or so to let the heat sanitize the wort. Place the kettle in an ice water bath in the sink with a thermometer in it till it gets down to 20-21C (yeast pitch temp).

Do you recommend that i put the can of Coopers Bitter and add sugar, then boil that for 10-30mins with hops, or just pure water and hops boil ?

The cooper's "kit" cans are pre hopped,the OS cans are bittered only with a little Pride of Ringwood hops. The other higher end cans have different flavor hops & what not added. Don't boil pre-hopped cans,as it will destroy the hop profile. Not to mention,if boiled long enough,caramelize the sugars in the malt,& darken the color. You could try a "hop tea" in the brew kettle (at the beginning) with a half ounce (15g) of each hop for 15minutes. I did that before & it worked pretty good.
But use a hop sack to keep the pellets contained,as they disintegrate back into granules. Dry hopping works well too. But for aroma,& some little bit of flavor.

I might try this, thanks for the info.

I was thinking about hop tea 0.5oz, then dry hopping with 2oz of each

Should i use both hops, or would that destroy the flavor ?

But use a hop sack to keep the pellets contained,as they disintegrate back into granules. Dry hopping works well too. But for aroma,& some little bit of flavor.

I am not sure how boiling the extract would destroy the hop profile since they prehop the cans for purposes of bittering.

Plus any aroma hops in a prehopped can could not begin to compare to the quality of the OP tossing some of his fresh hops in a boil for ten minutes.

Do you recommend that i put the can of Coopers Bitter and add sugar, then boil that for 10-30mins with hops, or just pure water and hops boil ?

I personally would just boil the can as normal (what I did with my dads cooper kit a few days ago). We tossed some fresh hops in at 15 and 5 minutes to get the flavor/aroma in the beer that prehopped cans lack

That can isn't all that "bitter". But still the hop tea is done in plain,boiling water. I used 1.5 gallons when I did it,but 2 gallons is fine. you could even do .5oz (15g) of Amarillo in the hop tea at the beginning,then dry hop.5oz of Citra after FG is reached in primary for 1 week. That would give a nice aroma,& cut the little bit of bittering from each. You'd have a good balance & more aroma that way.
It would destroy it because it's already been through the whole process,trust me. I got that straight from cooper's brew tech director,or whatever Paul's title is. It's his job,anyway. More boiling just drives off the oils that cause bittering,since to get just bittering,you drive off the aroma/flavor oils in a long boil. So,adding boiling time to that,you finish the job.
And only some of the cooper's cans have any aroma hops. The Original Series has none. Just some bittering only.
What I told him to do is very common in Australia,on the cooper's forums. You NEVER boil pre-hopped cans. Over & above the other LME discussions we have on here regarding this.

That can isn't all that "bitter". But still the hop tea is done in plain,boiling water. I used 1.5 gallons when I did it,but 2 gallons is fine. you could even do .5oz (15g) of Amarillo in the hop tea at the beginning,then dry hop.5oz of Citra after FG is reached in primary for 1 week. That would give a nice aroma,& cut the little bit of bittering from each. You'd have a good balance & more aroma that way.
It would destroy it because it's already been through the whole process,trust me. I got that straight from cooper's brew tech director,or whatever Paul's title is. It's his job,anyway. More boiling just drives off the oils that cause bittering,since to get just bittering,you drive off the aroma/flavor oils in a long boil. So,adding boiling time to that,you finish the job.
And only some of the cooper's cans have any aroma hops. The Original Series has none. Just some bittering only.
What I told him to do is very common in Australia,on the cooper's forums. You NEVER boil pre-hopped cans. Over & above the other LME discussions we have on here regarding this.

Got it, thanks for clarifying!

No problem. Basically,the hop tea adds flavor hopping to the cooper's canned malt,which can't be boiled again to achieve this. The bit of bittering is preserved,which adds nicely to what flavor/aroma additions you do to it. And dry hopping is just plain good aroma/lil bit more flavor,no matter how you look at it! I've even done 1oz (30g) in the hop tea,& one ounce dry hop for 1 week with the OS lager & some plain DME...but that's another volume.

I still think no more than 1oz in the tea would be better,as I did. I say the Amarillo. Save the Citra for the dry hop. But that's mainly due to the fact that the cooper's can must be added after the boil of the "tea" in the same kettle. I use plain DME as well,but that opens a whole new chapter.
This way,you'll get better definition of flavors/aromas,in my experience.

Yeah,but I'd strain them out after chilling the wort & pouring into the fermenter. Just boil the hops for the 15 minutes. Then take the BK off the heat to add the cooper's can.

you're welcome. Hope it turns out great. My first was the cooper's OS lager that came with brewing sugar in my micro brew kit. I brewed it straight up,after reading on here & cooper's forum. My wife loves it,so I altered the recipe a bit for her to brew a nice summer ale out of it.
Got a couple tricks up my sleeve for that one.
Anymore questions,just feel free. And I hope the temps where you live are better than here.

Its always chilly here, but controlable, house temp is about 25°c, storage temp is at 19°c

Well im done making this batch, here are the results.

18/07/11
Coopers Bitter
OG: 1.044
Hops: 0.8oz Citra 15min / 0.5oz Amarillo 15min tea boil
1.100gr Dextros
Yeast@ 20°c

I Decided to just try this with the hops, if it turns out awfull then "lesson learned"
The smell of the wort was awesome, and now the house smells like that wich is fantastic. :)

That doesn't sound too bad on the hops. But do you mean 1.1 kg on the dextrose? I liked the brewing sugar (cooper's) myself,in that instance. It's 80% dextrose,20% maltodextrin,which is a "long chain" sugar molecule that doesn't ferment out,giving more " mouth feel".
You should be fine if you keep the ferment temp at 20-21C (69-70F).

Yeah thats 1.1kg, last batches i've done 1kg and ABV is always around 4.3-4.6% so i added 100gr extra this time to give it a bit more.

The brewing sugar isnt available in Iceland yet :/

Listen,uuum...I was just thinking...can you get DME in Iceland? I've been using Munton's plain DME with cooper's cans & various hops for some different ales. Maybe I can help you on your next one to make something really good,or at least,familiar to some over here.

You're welcome! Always glad to help a fellow brewer,especially ones that are trying to make good ales with cooper's. I enjoy recombining them a lot.

Back