Brewing Tunes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4jeep74

Reaction score
What do you like to listen to when you brew.I believe music plays a roll in how your beer turns out. I start brewing early, so the tunes are a little calm. Steely Dan, Kansas, but by the end of the boil, and some homebrews I'll be rock'n to some Zeppelin, korn.:rockin:

Brewed up a Baltic Porter today, and had Dropkick Murphy's (their old stuff) and Flogging Molly going. If its not that mix its normally a Pantera, Metallica, and Anthrax mix. :rockin:

Mine sort of depends on the time if day but usually starts with flogging molly and ends with some Slayer and lamb if God.

Typically old reggae and rocksteady. The Paragons, Toots and the Maytals, The Pioneers, Desmond Dekker, The Ethiopians, Rudy Mills, etc.

Qhrumphf said:
Typically old reggae and rocksteady. The Paragons, Toots and the Maytals, The Pioneers, Desmond Dekker, The Ethiopians, Rudy Mills, etc.

Excellent taste!

For some reason, ever since I started brewing I have a renewed interest in British punk and pop from the late 70's and the 80's. I think there must be a connection. Brewing a bitter while listening to bands like XTC or Gang of Four, who were so interested in the lives of ordinary English people, makes so much sense.

When I was single I would occasionally leave music playing while I was away, so my apartment would have a certain atmosphere when I returned. Sort of like one of those ionizing air cleaners. Reading this thread, I'm intrigued by the idea of music becoming infused in my beer.

No, I don't really believe in this sort of woo woo stuff, but it's a nice thought and I like music so why the hell not.

Scratch said:
When I was single I would occasionally leave music playing while I was away, so my apartment would have a certain atmosphere when I returned. Sort of like one of those ionizing air cleaners. Reading this thread, I'm intrigued by the idea of music becoming infused in my beer.

No, I don't really believe in this sort of woo woo stuff, but it's a nice thought and I like music so why the hell not.

They say that plants respond to music, so why not yeast?

I'm not sure if it works but agree with the thought and a brew day is not the same without some tunes! I brewed a Pliny clone two weeks ago and it was infused with Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold, and In This Moment. Prior too that I had a Scottish Ale that got some Flogging Molly treatment. Do I think it made a difference? It did in my brew day, and can't complain about the finished product!

Currently brewing a late-to-the-party Oktoberfest to the sweet sounds of Arctic Monkeys, Von Bondies, Cold War Kids, Superchunk, and Weird Al.

toxick said:
Currently brewing a late-to-the-party Oktoberfest to the sweet sounds of Arctic Monkeys, Von Bondies, Cold War Kids, Superchunk, and Weird Al.

Good call on the superchunk. Maybe some Samiam or boilermaker?

Go on Pandora and create a station based on Desmond Dekker. Lots of crooning and good rhythm. Classy stuff to keep you moving.

4x4jeep74 said:
What do you like to listen to when you brew.I believe music plays a roll in how your beer turns out. I start brewing early, so the tunes are a little calm. Steely Dan, Kansas, but by the end of the boil, and some homebrews I'll be rock'n to some Zeppelin, korn.:rockin:

I am not jamming anything yet. Maybe I should stick the ear buds in. You selection sounds good about now. I'll take Steely any time of the day.

Here we go.

image-1146936939.jpg

40 min into mash right now

todays playlist is mostly 90's throwback:
Bad Religion - Against the Grain
Bad Religion - Stranger than Fiction
Sublime - 2nd Hand Smoke
Nirvana - Bleach
and for Good measure Floyd - Animals

Go on Pandora and create a station based on Desmond Dekker. Lots of crooning and good rhythm. Classy stuff to keep you moving.

+1

That whole era of Jamaican music is just fantastic (I'd say 1964-72). It really saddens me that the entire sphere of "reggae" has been relegated to either Bob Marley or stuff so removed from its roots (Elephant Man?) that the core elements of what made reggae reggae are no longer there. And I get frustrated when I say I like ska, and people assume I mean punk rock with horns. Don't get me wrong, I can dig some third wave, But I'll take some Carlos Malcolm over Reel Big Fish any day.

Rant over. Point is, try a Desmond Dekker playlist on Pandora. You'll most likely dig it. Either that or based on The Specials, and I can just about guarantee you'll dig it ;)

Back