Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers,

Im looking to do some yeast starters. And im looking for an opinion on equipment. I make 5 gallon batches of beer. Should I do the 2000 ml flask over the 1000 ml flask? Ive heard a lot of people complaining they dont have enough room in a 1000 ml flask. Whats your experience?

Cheers!

On www.mrmalty.com, it recommends more than 1000ml starter when using a stir plate for 5g beers over 1.065.

Not using a stir plate?

Then you need more than 1000ml starter once you go above 1.042 for a five gallon batch.

A growler is about 2000ml. But I like the flask because I can boil it on the stove.

A gallon jug is about 4000ml.

Jason

I have a 1000ml and it is not enough. For a big beer or lager, I usually start in it and ramp up using a 2qt plastic pitcher (clean new never used for anything else) that happens to have a smooth bottom that won't throw the stir bar. If not using a stir plat, any glass jug will do.

I just finished a starter for 10 gallons in a 5,000 ml flask. It blew the foam stopper out. Point is that you should go as big as you can afford to deal with as the extra space is handy to have.

Whats your experience?

Go big, or go home!

If you feel that you will move to 10 gallon batches at any time in your homebrewing endeavors I would go straight to a 5000ml to avoid ending up with extra equipment that you don't use. I would NOT recommend going any smaller than a 2000ml.

I have a 1000ml flask that I use to "start" my starters, and then switch to a 1/2gl milk jug. Will be getting a 2000ml flask soon.

Any thing to do with this hobby is like buying a car.
Dont bother buying the Mini Copper,,, You will be needing the Mini Van.

Back