Old Kit, Still usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARV9673

Reaction score
Went to a friend's to watch the "Big Game" tonight and he popped out with an old True Brew kit (Amber ale) from when he did the whole HB thing, 6 or 7 years ago. Part DME part LME, I am assuming the can is still viable, that the hops are junk and the yeast could go either way (I'll get new yeast unless someone here says to give it a try). What I am wondering about is the DME. It's hard as a rock and has formed into the shape of whatever it was near in the box (the can). It is usable still? Is the only thing this kit is good for the can of Amber malt?

I might use the LME. I would trash the DME if it is caked. I would definitely dump the yeast.
Good luck if you use any of this. :mug:

Ive used some old LME before and WAS NOT Pleased with the results. I would say the DME would offer better results. (If you want to break out the hammer and chisel.)

THROW IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasted an afternoon and a bunch of other ingredients, just to use up an old can of LME.

YUCK! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back