Transporting keg after fill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garbs

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the world of kegging so I hope you might be able to help me out by answering a quick question.

Unfortunately, my kegerator is in a different location than my fermenter and I'm almost at the point where I need to rack to the keg. Can I rack the beer to the keg, close the lid and then transport it in a car?

I've read that you need to seal the lid with CO2 after you close it, but since the kegerator isn't in the same place as my fermenter, this obviously can't be done. Can I get away with transporting it for 15 mins or so and then sealing it when I have it in the kegerator? Or, would I be better off grabbing the CO2 tank, regulator, and gas line and sealing it before transporting?

Thanks in advance :)

Don't know if it matters, but that much headspace and oxygen sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'd bring the co2 along to purge with. And purge is the operative word. you want to purge the headspace, not just seat the lid.

I never move my keg until I have my keg saturated with CO2. Moving a keg like you suggest would introduce O2 into the beer and would lead to premature staleing, due to the splashing beer when moving it.

You might be able to get a mini CO2 cartridge charger with an adapter that fits onto the "in" post on your corny keg and use it to purge all of the O2 from the keg once it has been sealed. They don't come with regulators though so you'd have to use the charger sparingly while purging the keg, using only enough to ensure you've purged all the O2.

Cornelius Keg CO2 Charger Cornelius Kegs Home Brewing - KegWorks

I guess that will have to work.

So basically I rack in the beer, close the lid, hook the gas line up at like 12psi and pull the pressure relief a couple times?

Basically. Some people hit it with 30 psi to seat the lid, but I've never had to use that high of pressure. My cornys are in pretty good shape and I think keg lube on the o-ring helps a great deal.

I guess that will have to work.

So basically I rack in the beer, close the lid, hook the gas line up at like 12psi and pull the pressure relief a couple times?

Yes. Dont know if you're close to a homebrew store, but SeamusMac's suggestion sounds like the best solution to your problem.

Latest posts

Back