Prickly pear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never found good prickly pear up here in the PNW. I was considering finding someone where it's native that would trade for some fresh spruce tips. I can find plenty of those!

I've never found good prickly pear up here in the PNW. I was considering finding someone where it's native that would trade for some fresh spruce tips. I can find plenty of those!

It's native here. I just saw some in a grocery store a couple of days ago. It grows all over the place around here. I removed one from my front yard the day I closed on my house. The damn thing was the size of a small car.

I could do a trade, either store-bought or picked fresh, but I don't want any spruce tips.

Try hi end grocery stores, like AJ's Fine Foods. Walmarts stock a lot of regional stuff and if its not in your region your out of luck.

Brandon, PP is great by itself if you get the ripe ones. Kinda a cross between strawberry and watermelon. Works even better in a margarita. :)

You might have some luck at Mexican markets, Not sure if they have those in IA, but where there are Mexicans, there are usually Mexican markets nearby.

hey, I'm in the PNW, too and have had a hard time getting it. So California has a lot of organic growers of the stuff, though. I am hoping that, through a friend, I will be able to get some this year. Let me know if you end up finding any, tho, I would go in on it with you!

I don't know exactly when the fruit is ready, but Central Texas is overrun with them. If anyone wants to work out some kind of trade, I'd be happy to put on some heavy gloves and go pick a bunch of it.

Anyone want to trade good honey for some prickly pears?

Back