WLP565 Pitching rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
What pitching rate should I use for this yeast? I am brewing this beer soon and shooting for a 1.050 OG. It is a belg pils/wheat grain bill. It will be my first time brewing a saison. I normally brew american style stuff, IPA, Browns, Barleywine and I am comfortable with my pitching rate for those beers. I have flasks for starters, a stire plate and pure o2 injection capabilities.

I was going to brew this beer on Saturday but I am thinking I might hold off for a week or two. I can't get anything to ramp up past 70*F right now because it hasn't been freakin' warm enough. I wanted to start fermentation at 70*F And then after a few days ramp to 75-80*F until it finishes.

Normal pitching rate. I just used this yeast for the first time. Fermented at 85. No problems with it. Turned out well, still getting better.

Thanks. Unless it is a big beer I use .75mil as my rate. I'll use that. I need it to warm up here so I can freaking brew it. I think we hit 80 today but it has been in the 40s at night and things cool off too much. Maybe next brew day. Tomorrow is an English mild instead.

I would pitch a little bigger. This strain is pretty demanding. There was some good advice in the 3724 thread. One poster pitches at 1M/ml, starts at 68 for 24-36, adds simple sugar, then cranks it up 2*/day. The other option is to finish with belle or 3711. In any case, most people have trouble on the first gen pitch.

Just brewed the cottage house saison in the recipe database and used 565. I used a 1.4 liter stir plate starter. My OG was around 1.075, and I pitched at 68 & ramped up to 85 over the course of a couple days. Day 18 my gravity was stable at 1.003.

I've read two opinions on this yeast, one where it's recommended to pitch low and ramp up and the other (probably more definitive opinion) is just to pitch high and let ride somewhere in the 85 area. I just finished the book farmhouse ales and the author recommends the latter. Also, on the saison episode of the jamil show, Chris white from white labs recommends pitching a finishing yeast like cal ale if 565 won't finish out. Hope this helps!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm just getting ready to re brew that cottage house saison. Tasty beer although I make it smaller.

I'm just now enjoying my first saison with 565. I pitched at 80, and kicked it to 85 after 24 hours. Held at 85 for about three days, then increased 1 degree per 12 hours, up to about 93. Pretty tasty beer. Fg was about 1.003, yet there is still a Sweetness from the yeast. Just keep this one nice and hot and you'll be ok

I'm just getting ready to re brew that cottage house saison. Tasty beer although I make it smaller.

I'm just now enjoying my first saison with 565. I pitched at 80, and kicked it to 85 after 24 hours. Held at 85 for about three days, then increased 1 degree per 12 hours, up to about 93. Pretty tasty beer. Fg was about 1.003, yet there is still a Sweetness from the yeast. Just keep this one nice and hot and you'll be ok

Pitched 200 ml more than Mr malty. Pure O2, free rise to 75 - held it there. OG 1.060, FG 1.005. No sugar, mashed at 149.

Thanks guys. I made a big starter, hit it with pure o2 through a .5micron stone and it ran through full krausen at around 78-80 degrees. That is as hot as I could get it. It cooled off now that the yeast is calming down. I am getting lots of banana in the off gas and the starter tasted like a banana. We will see how it ends up. Og was 1.050. All 90% belg pils and 10% white wheat, No sugar. Thinking about putting half on kumquats and see how that goes.

Back