Brewing beer without bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yobigfatmomma

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's possible to brew beer by letting it ferment in a primary fermenter, and then moving it to a secondary fermenter with a tap, adding the necessary sugar, and just pouring a glass from the tap when I feel like a beer?

Sincerely,

Yobigfatmomma

Pressure barrels are popular in the UK for this vary purpose. Goggle them & see if that's what you want to do.

I think the answer you're looking for is yes--start kegging.

If you try using a drilled bucket or something, most of the CO2 will just gas off and you'll have flat beer.

Interesting, thanks guys. I'll probably go the pressure barrel route as I don't believe I can afford a full keg system at the moment. What are some good brands?

There are many HB'rs in the UK using them. Just google it to find sites that sell them. I'm not sure about Midwest,NB,AHS,though.

What are some good brands?

They're all pretty much ubiquitous like the "ale pale" in fact most of them look like they're made in the same factory, just with a different companies stickers applied to them.

The only difference I've seen ( and that's list online, they're not that popular in american brewing) is that some have a brass threaded fitting on top to allow you to force carb with co2 paintball chargers.

You can look at the Tap a Draft mini kegs. They are not too expensive and will fit in the fridge.

I have never used them but they look like they may work for you.

Back