Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWhitner

Reaction score
So I have decided to Dive into the Root Beer Home Brewing. I got some Red Star Yeast and I ordered some Hires Extract to start with. I got a Older bottle capper form my Mother who picked it up years ago and never used it. So I am going to go with PET 2 liter bottles for now just in case. So just throwing it out there for any quick tips and or Be sure you... Or don't do...

So... is that for Room temp? I am pretty thorough so I will be keeping a log of each batch. I also read where someone will put the bottle into the freezer (once hard enough) and wait till almost frozen then decant into other bottles and then pop them into the fridge. Any thoughts on that? Anyone... Anyone... Bueller....Bueller...

Temp is about the most easy thing to overlook when making beer (of any type) that affects the end product so very very very much.

Its not just room temp, but maybe even more so the temp of the product when you put the yeast in it, not to hot, not too cold etc.

Be sure you...
don't use the capper on your PET bottles. And have fun.

So... is that for Room temp? I am pretty thorough so I will be keeping a log of each batch. I also read where someone will put the bottle into the freezer (once hard enough) and wait till almost frozen then decant into other bottles and then pop them into the fridge. Any thoughts on that? Anyone... Anyone... Bueller....Bueller...

No need to put it in the freezer. Decanting into another bottle will only help to lose carbonation, just like when you open a soda bottle of coke.

When the bottles are firm, put them in the fridge to stop yeast activity. When you pour a glass, don't stir up the yeast sediment. Just pour into a glass or pitcher with one motion, stopping when the yeast sediment starts to show up. Rinse the bottle right away, otherwise it seems like that sediment hardens into moldy concrete!

I use about 1 teaspoon of Red Star Champagne yeast in 2Ls. I mix it all up in a pitcher (I like using a little maltodextrine for body) according to the directions, then add the yeast and pour into sanitized soda bottles and cap. Keep at 70+ degrees for 48-72 hours, squeezing them and sticking them in the fridge when they get hard.

Ok that all seams good. Looked up the Specifics of the maltodextrin that sounds interesting.
Just a few more questions:

Decanter vs. a strainer at the end - (Or do you get a bad flavor?)

Does the Yeast ever stop? (I know cold will slow it down but in say a 2 Liter
scenario with lets say 1/4 Yeast It will go through the sugar but will is ever in fact Stop?)

How long does this last in the fridge? and Why does it last longer on the on the store shelf ?

Back