Transplanting hops in the fall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpass00

Reaction score
A buddy of mine is moving out of his house and moving into a apartment. he has been growing hops at his place for about 3 years. he cant plant his hops where he is moving, so he wants to give them to me. I know spring is the best time to move them but we don't have that luxury. So I guess I am looking for advise that will make this transplant as successful and possible. thank you.

I definitely plan to transplant mine right after harvest.

If you aren't going to have a harvest, transplant them NOW.

They need enough time to get established somewhat before winter hits.

All you need to do is cut the bines off and dig up the roots. You just need the main ball, not all of the side roots. Get them back in the ground within a week and they should be fine. It would be better if you could wait until the bines die back, but time and weather are working against you.

I too am moving this fall (early october) and planted mine in 5 gallon planters because I knew I would be moving. I didn't think I would be moving until Jan 1st, but my bines are still growing and I need to take them with me. Should I just cut them back to the soil level even though they haven't died back?

let them go as long as you can and when you do move, you could take as much of the vine (within reason) with you. the small portion you take will help to continue to produce carbohydrates until it dies back on it's own. any food produced now will be sent down to the crown being that the vegetative portion is not calling for any food at this time. make sure you take some time to prepare a new area for the crown you are transplanting. dig a hole (hopefully you can find an area that drains well), amend the soil with some organic matter and once you plant it, mulch it over with a couple inches of some type of mulch to help insulate it against extremes for the winter and you'll be good to go. hop to it!

I have some hop plants in containers also...I plan on transplanting them into the ground for next year, when would be the best time to transplant them-this fall or in the spring? Thanks

I am also going to be moving, and getting married. SWMBO actually wants me to bring my hop plants along. :) She really likes all the beers I make too.

I still have three varieties to harvest this year. My garden has been growing wild this year, since I have been gone alot. I plan on harvesting when they are ready, then let them die back on their own. I am getting plans to get their new home ready in the next few weeks, so I won't have to rush too much when the time comes to move them.

+1 on waiting till they die back and go dormant on their own. I will be digging and rearranging all 14 plants this fall after they go dormant.

2 transplanted.

With EXCELLENT watering and NO sitting just drying out, both are looking healthy at 24 horurs.........did I just type that?

Yes, 24 horrors are KEY to a successful transd\plant.......

OK 4 glasses of VINO and posting......

REGARDLESS.......I feel that the non wilting foliage is evidence that some foliage retention at transplanting is GOOD as long as they have a few weeks to settle.

And only a foot or 2 of foliage....not a whole 24 foot bine.;)

Back