Beers to look for in FL panhandle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
I'm on vacation in Destin, FL. I'm here from MA and wondering what I should be looking out for that I can't get at home. I'm currently enjoying a Bell's Two Hearted and was happily surprised to find my namesake (Oberon) available year round. I knew to look out for Bell's but don't know what else to look for (or avoid). Thanks for the help.

Destin has a decent little place to find beer at called Chans Wines and Liquors, they have a beer festival every year over there but it's not that great (personal opinion). It does seem like they have come a long way since I have attended the festival or checked out their beer selection though so Check out this website, http://chanswineworld.com/ and I think you'll be quite surprised at the selection. Also if you can, make your way towards Fort Walton Beach and McGuires will be on your right, it's a brew pub that makes great beer.

I haven't been back to Destin since I was able to drink, but do me a favor and go by Harbor Docks and knock one back for me on their patio. Try a fried shrimp or two as well.

Thanks for pointing out chans website dizzle. McGuire's is definitely on the docket. Brewpubs were the first thing I looked up when we got here. Staying with friends so we're gonna hit McGuires and some place right on the water this weekend. Not sure if it's Harbor Docks, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'll definitely post back my findings after a little more exploration. The Bell's stuff is tiding me over till the weekend. I became aware of them like 10 years ago when my father brought an (empty) Oberon bottle back from MI on a business trip. Until now, that is the only Bell's offering I've managed to get my hands on, but now I've had the Two Hearted and have some Amber chilling now. I'm hoping to find some Hopslam when I get over to Chans. Thanks again for the help.

Lazy Magnolia brewery in MS makes a few good beers and their site lists a few places in destin to try it out:
Graffiti / Bellissimo
Hooter's Restaurant
Jim N Nick's BBQ
Mellow Mushroom
Poppy's Crazy Lobster Bar
Red Door Saloon

Personally I think the Southern Pecan brown ale is pretty good.

I dunno if you will be able to find it or not, but look for Cigar City stuff. In fact if you can go to the brewery, that would be good too..pretty far from the panhandle, though.

We just left the panhandle this morning. (Currently on the Atlantic). Anyway, one of the good surprises was finding Sweetwater Brewery's beers in the grocery stores. We loved the IPA and the APA, and it was about $7 a sixer throughout the Panhandle. It's apparently from Atlanta, and I never saw it until a couple of weeks ago when I got here. It's a good beer, but I didn't see it on tap anywhere.

God, I love Sweetwater Blue. Anybody have a clone recipe?

If you are near Topsail State Park near Santa Rosa Beach, east of Destin, there is a cool place called "The Red Bar". Google will get you there!

God, I love Sweetwater Blue. Anybody have a clone recipe?!

Never tried a clone, but from what I understand, they use a combo of 2-row and wheat, with Centennial... if you wanted to try and throw something together.

Went to McGuires for dinner tonight. Fantastic all around. My only complaint is that the Old Fashioned Ale is actually the light beer. Didn't realize until I got it. I was expecting something more like a bitter. Oh well, the porter made up for it. Food was great, and the atmosphere too. Thanks for the tips all.

Latest posts

Back