Steeping Grains- What to do with the dust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulbill

Reaction score
Hi All,

When getting the grains ready for steeping, depending on the crush, there always seems to be a fair amount of dust that escapes from the grain bag into the bottom of the bowl/container the bag is resting in.

Should I go ahead and add this goodness to the boil kettle? That is what I have been doing, but have been reading that this may add/impart some astringency to the wort?

What is the consensus on this?

Thanks in advance.

Paulbill

I always throw them in during the boil when I throw in the wort that I strained from the grain bag.

I always filled my bag over the sink, and let the flour fall out and put the grains in to steep. I don't think it would do any harm to leave it in, but I also do see any benefit to it either. Apparently, it's been working for you so far!

I fill my grain bag over my brew pot lid then tap the lid over the pot knocking the dust into it. I figure why waste even a little bit of brew goodness.

I don't think a bit of dust can really hurt, But in an ideal world it's not something that you really want to get over 160 degrees. You will extract tannins from it at higher temps..........Having said that, it's just a bit of dust. Nothing to worry about unless you have a ton of it.

I don't think a bit of dust can really hurt, But in an ideal world it's not something that you really want to get over 160 degrees. You will extract tannins from it at higher temps..........Having said that, it's just a bit of dust. Nothing to worry about unless you have a ton of it.

I always thought that the tannins came from the husk?? Unless the crush is really tight the dust should be from within the seed, not the husk. No worrys with the dust going in. There's a whole lot more contained within the bag of grain that finds it's way in through the steep.

When using the cheesecloth-like bag that comes with the kits we've used, there is a -ton- of dust that gets all over. We've since used a nylon grain bag, and no dust escapes, so I certainly hope it doesn't do any harm since it all ends up in the wort.

I fill my nylon grain bag over my pot while the water is heating and make certain to get every bit of grain I paid for in there :) Steeping is usually done at about 155 or so, I don't think the dust is of any concern.

Paulbill - I used everything I had dust and all, I even had SWMBO squeezing out every last drop out of the grains in the mesh bag to get, as she put it, "all of that malty goodness" into the boil.

Speaking if dust "...the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean..."

Back