strange thing !!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
ok so i bottled my 2.5 gallon batch of chocolate almond stout about 2 weeks ago. well i wanted to conduct a little experiment. so when i bottled, i filled 12 of them 3/4 from the top of the cap and i did the other 12 about 2 inches from the cap. so i go to try one right...... weeeelllllll, first i tried one that was 2 inches from the top. -BEER, DEFINITELY BEER, BUT FLAT AND NO HEAD RETENTION WHAT SO EVER, AND COULD NOT TASTE THE ALMOND EXTRACT AT ALL, KINDA GAVE ME A HEADACHE.... LIKE STRAIGHT LME- next i tried the one that was 3/4 from the top of the cap - MAN, 2-3 INCHES OF HEAD, ALMOND WAS THERE AS THE AFTER TASTE AND REALLY GOOD, COULD USE ALITTLE MORE TIME, BUT WAY BETTER- :drunk:any ideas????:drunk: -Lee

Do you have a bottling wand? You are supposed to fill the bottle right to the top with those and when you remove it, the perfect amount of head space is left. Leaving too much room means there is too much space for the CO2 that is given off to move into before it has to be absorbed by the beer, meaning it stays flat.

PS: Take it easy on the caps lock

well the first beer i tried was put in the fridge and cooled. that is the one that had no head. well i opened 3 that were room temp and they went crazy. 3 inch head on it. why is the cooled beer lacking head. ????

Leave it in the refrigerator longer. If I am remembering correctly, cold liquids hold much more CO2. When it is warm, all of the carbonation wants to escape quickly. If you leave it in the fridge for a few days, you let the CO2 even itself out in the beer.

Also, 2 weeks is slightly low on how long you should let beer bottle condition. I'd let is sit for another week before chilling more.

hey thanks bro, and yeah i figured it was a little short but i like to try one every week after bottling. to get the taste right you know. i learn alot that way. but thanks again.

Back