BierMunchers Rolling Kegerator (BYO Published)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the two weeks is up by now

Two weeks is up tomorrow. Picking her up at the airport at 7PM.

The house is a mess.
There are no groceries (I do the grocery shopping but too lazy this week).
The dogs have lost weight.
Dishwasher is full of clean and dirty dishes.
There's an eerie looking discoloration in the carpet in the living room.
I've forbidden the kids from changing clothes the last two weeks.

...but....

All my hard work that detracted me from these chores was in preparation for her parents 50th anniversary..

yep....I'm a saint. ;D

Looks great BM, it's SURE to be a hit!

Love the removable drip tray....you might find that, especially outdoors, the tray may be more hassle than it's worth...

The only thing I have to say that I would do differently, is that as great as the stained board looks, I really liked the way the taps followed the curve of the front of the bin when they were fitted directly to the plastic. The board just doesn't follow the curve and sticks out quite a bit on both ends. I would have maybe used another material that I could curve around the bin and get back that nice curved effect on the taps. I am thinking a piece of checkerplate/stainless/aluminum etc that would roll rigth around it. Another option might be a piece or possibly a double thickness of lamanite benchtop, like Formica. Then you could use any pattern you like.

Last thing I can see that might be a problem is the spigot. I hope no one steps on it, or kicks it accidently. Not a problem until you piece the liner I guess. rather than poking holes in the bag and using the spigot, you could just tip it on its side, or use an autosiphon to empty it.

Not criticising in any way mate, it's AWESOME!, just doing what I do.. and making some observations.

So what's going to be pouring from the three taps?

The only thing I have to say that I would do differently, is that as great as the stained board looks, I really liked the way the taps followed the curve of the front of the bin when they were fitted directly to the plastic. The board just doesn't follow the curve and sticks out quite a bit on both ends.

I must dissent.

I love the clash of the rich, finished wood and stainless faucets with the cheap, green, ugly plastic. Though I don't know him personally, this work of art just screams BierMuncher, based on the little I know of him from his posts.

I love it.

For some reason, I half expect Oscar the Grouch to pop out and start singing, "I Love Trash!"

-Steve

I must dissent.

I love the clash of the rich, finished wood and stainless faucets with the cheap, green, ugly plastic.

You could have the exact same stained timber look with a laminate like formica, it's just that it would curve with teh bin, and keep the taps curving in the same arc....

Or not:mug:

You could have the exact same stained timber look with a laminate like formica, it's just that it would curve with teh bin, and keep the taps curving in the same arc....

I'll give you that... it would be more aesthetically pleasing to match the curves.

But for me, that would be one step too far and would call into question the whole concept. If he took it that far to match the curves, then why would he use an ugly green garbage bin to begin with?

Not matching the curves negates the whole existential question, thus validating the choice of media in the first place.

I got a B.S. in Art BS in college. :)

Or not. :mug:

...I love the clash of the rich, finished wood and stainless faucets with the cheap, green, ugly plastic....

I was actually going for that clash. I wanted that sort of "something's not right here" double take effect.

Plus...my intent was to only use materials I already had laying around the house...trying to keep it an exercise in resourcefulness and thrift.

I was actually going for that clash. I wanted that sort of "something's not right here" double take effect.

Plus...my intent was to only use materials I already had laying around the house...trying to keep it an exercise in resourcefulness and thrift.

So how long had you been using that trash can before this? :D

Way too pretty, BM.

Fixed that for ya...a few holes, a few cracks, we're good to go.

Rolling_Kegger9971.jpg

Now that looks like BM's stuff.
Hope the party goes great and everyone imbibes on the contents.
Great looking setup, might make a nice addition to my two line standard picnic tap. Thanks for sharing it.

Looks sweet, BM.

How much is that going to weigh when full of ice and beer?

Looks sweet, BM.

How much is that going to weigh when full of ice and beer?

Too damn much to consider moving around. I'll have to set everything up one piece at a time...but when the party is over...once drained...it should be light enough to wheel out to the truck and toss it in.

SWMBO came home last night. She approved. :D

Oh...and I cleaned and shampooed the carpets...vacuumed and steam cleaned the wood floors...fed the dogs...and went grocery shopping.

That helped...;)

You can start a portable brew system business, in my area they use green, blue and gray 64 gallon wheeled trash containers. Note filled to top with good damp topsoil will bend the axle.
Well done and looks cool no matter when people say by keep returning to your keg top chop job. I see progress maybe wood working in your future?
Party on BM'er.

So when does it get put into the field?

Two weeks. Saturday, August 2nd.

Big anniversary party for a large east coast Irish family...open house style.

The party is at the in-laws house so I have to set things up the Friday before. I'm having a pre-party at my house for family coming in so I'll be busy enough with grilling and keeping my normal (7) taps flowing that night.

The BIL stopped by the house last night and sampled all three beers I'll have on tap at the party and approved :D.

SWMBO came home last night. She approved. :D

Oh...and I cleaned and shampooed the carpets...vacuumed and steam cleaned the wood floors...fed the dogs...and went grocery shopping.

That helped...;)

With the amount of beer related activities you have going on.. who would have guessed you were still married. :cross:

Fortunately...she likes my beer. Otherwise, she'd have packed up long ago. :D

I'm with ya there, buddy! Nothing says "true love" like an undying willingness to support a brewing habit! Understanding SWMBOs are the best. (Did I mention mine sometimes reads my posts in her free time? ;) )

The last internal piece was figuring out how to mount the CO2 tank. It was easier than I thought...an 8" piece of coat hanger bent to shape and jabbed into the styrofoam wall and we keep the canister off of the ice.

Rolling_Kegger9991.jpg
Rolling_Kegger9992.jpg

I also decided it was important to let people know what they're drinking. I'm not real fond of the name "cream ale" as I think it's an inaccurate description of the flavor of my CTC. I think a "blonde ale" a bit closer in description...at least for the non-beer snob.

The name of the folks having the anniversary is "McHugh"...so some quick rework of some on-line images and...done.

Rolling_Kegger9993.jpg

Nice touch with the labels. I was going to take issue with the blue moon label, but then I saw the name you've given your clone in your sig....good choice sticking with Blue Moon. :)

Nice touch with the labels. I was going to take issue with the blue moon label, but then I saw the name you've given your clone in your sig....good choice sticking with Blue Moon. :)

Actually it should be a pair of blue moons for better accuracy. :D

This is the best anything ever.

How much did you have total invested into it? I might be interested in something like this in the future.

This is the best anything ever.

How much did you have total invested into it? I might be interested in something like this in the future.

I really didn't spend much additional money for this rig.

The garbage can was left over from when I finished my basement and was always lined with a construction bag.

I did order additional gas line, along with some spare gas disconnects. I'm using beer lines and locks from my keezer. The shanks and taps are also coming from my keezer.

The only real outlay was the CO2 unit from Lowe's ($84.00) and the styrofoam board for insulation ($8.00)

Back