Why does kombucha make me feel sick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buchababe90

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a headache/stomachache from drinking kombucha. I don't normally buy it, but bought a couple bottles because I want to make a SCOBY. I drank about half of one of the bottles (GT synergy) and felt gross. Does anyone else sometimes feel sick after drinking kombucha? I used to drink it more frequently a couple years ago and rarely had any side effects.

My sister makes that nasty crap. I tried it once and it had the same effect on me. I didn't feel too hot! Isn't it supposed to "clean" you out? I'll just have another beer! Thank You Very Much!!!

That's funny (well I guess not really for you), I always feel better after drinking KT. It seems to calm my stomach and I often feel a boost in energy (psychosomatic?)... great after a LONG night:drunk: I guess, I feel like its not for everyone, however, the benefits seem pretty well documented.

It could possible be that your system needs to readjust to it, Often times our systems are so damaged from the S.A.D (Standard American Diet) that they respond poorly at first to things that are good for the body, i have heard this complaint from people who live on fast food/junk food when they have ate a salad, same principle the body gets used to processing what it normally gets, then it is a system shock when it gets something different.

If it is JUST a slight stomach ache or feeling "yuky" i would SLOWLY ease back into drinking Kombucha, say 4oz per day until you no longer get the stomach ache, Do remember our systems do not like rapid changes, but if you get ANY other symptoms such as a rash,difficulty breathing etc SEE A DOCTOR it could be an allergic reaction.

Thanks for the responses. My diet is pretty crappy and I take prescription medication, so that could be part of it. I'm kind of scared of kombucha now though.

Kombucha and many other beneficial foods have a detoxifying effect on the body. So if you drink too much of it too quickly at first and your body can't dispose of the toxins quickly enough, you may feel poorly from it. Often people think they are allergic to it, but in actuality it is the stored toxins coming out of their bodies that is the issue. Supposedly the organic acids in KT can actually dissolve some of these toxins.

The idea is to drink lots of water to aid the Kombucha to cleanse the system. If your gastrointestional track is sluggish you need more water anyway. You don't want your body to attempt to dislodge and discharge impacted toxic waste products all at one time. Headaches, stomach, etc. problems. So, small quantities of Kombucha (teaspoon or two) followed by 8 to 12 ounces of fresh clean water. Increase the Kombucha intake gradually. It takes time to adjust your body to the effect of Kombucha.

Kombucha tastes great with a flavored tea, like blackberry, added to a second batch of Kombucha brew. Keep the original Kombucha mother in her own separate jar with tea and water.

HollyGayle

Try growing a SCOBY and using green tea. Black tea can be hard on a delicate stomach. Also, remember that Kombucha detoxifies the liver and balances the pH of the body (affecting the kidneys). It is important to drink 8oz of water per 1oz of kombucha to facilitate the detox as your body adjusts

HbgBill....you nailed it on the head--start wirh small amount and increase slowly. One ounce a day for anyone new to kombucha, water/milk kwfir, etc., coyld react wirh a variety of symptoms. Many say it is similar to, if not, a Herxheimer reaction. I always recommend no more than one ounce daily for three days and can try doubling intake every 3 days; if at any time you have an issue go back to the previous low dose for a few days and then increase by just half until you can determine how you will tolerate. And most importantly, drink water, water, water.

HbgBill....you may want to consider flavoring with fruit/herbal teas AFTER your scoby is removed. I adore strawberry/black n green tea, or a peach blend, but if I use that tea during primary phase I sometimes get mold, so no more in primary. I brew one cup of it, cool and just add after I remove scoby, many times with a handful of related fruit. Just divine!!

Re: Candida ;(....ladies! Today, 11:05 PM
I drank a bottle of Kombucha tea from our local grocery store "Whole Foods" and the next day I had a horrible yeast infection (I am certain it was from the drink). I treated for yeast but it still wouldn't go away. I've been tested for everything, seen 5 different doctors, have had to pay $200 in pill, lotions/creams, not to mention the burning itching pain down there for 5 weeks or the scare as I've never had a yeast infection like this before! The infection is finally clearing up now but I would not recommend Kombucha to my worst enemy.. well maybe just to my worst enemy or the guy who got me to drink the Kombucha, only cause he still won't believe it's what made me sick. The bottles should have warning labels. I've found other forums where ladies are complaining of this symptom as well.

That does seem odd. I make my own Kefir with no ill effects, seems to help my skin problems. I have battled tinea versicolor for years.
Kefir clears it right up. Its almost as if its overpowering the fungal infection. I am a happy camper, no creams, no meds.

Sweetdragon, couldn't read your post without smiling. (Not to the discomfort you went through with the infection, but your assertion of it having something to do with drinking Kombucha.)

My brain feels fuzzy after I drink my homemade kombucha, but it doesn't happen with store brand. Anyone know why?

Kombucha will definitely give you "detox headaches" when one first begins drinking it. Take it slow at first. Maybe half a bottle every other day or so. It will go away shortly, but yes, it is a very common side effect. I drink it regularly now without ever getting a headache, but that was not the case in the beginning....

My brain feels fuzzy after I drink my homemade kombucha, but it doesn't happen with store brand. Anyone know why?

Yeah, that is very strange. Never heard of that. Hmmm, can't help ya there :-/

I have heared allot about detox sickness caused by drinking to much kombucha at once

Are you used to caffeine? Most KT contains a small amount, so that could be it (I think I'm getting used to that bc I don't drink coffee or anything and 16 oz of KT was a little shock to my system)

Here's my two cents. Buch is a probiotic drink with "good" bugs. If your digestive tract is out of balance you will feel the effects of the good bugs battling it out with the not-so-good bugs until a healthy balance is reestablished (if you continue consuming the probiotics) This could mean excess flatulence, some temporary bloat and maybe some other minor discomfort.

I am a recent Buche convert, my co worker brews a bunch at a time and brought me in some to try. I loved it, so I've been drinking hers and buying store bought, and I wanted to try making me own because while this stuff is good, it's expensive to buy... Keep in mind, I have ZERO tolerance issues with store bought and with my friend's...I can drink 16 oz and not have any problems... So my co worker gave me a scoby of hers, and off to the races I went...
My first two separate batches, I brew in gallon glass jars and I use the "Get Kombucha" brand organic loose leaf tea blend from Amazon. Just 6 oz gave me horrible intestinal problems, the big D and serious nausea. I test the ph levels to make sure it's safe, all of my bottles are sanitized before I use them.. I have read somewhere that you could be having a reaction to the tea itself, perhaps the processing or the type of tea.. I placed an order for the tea my friend uses, so we'll see if that helps..
You guys have any wisdom to share, I've love to hear it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I'm doing something wrong. :(

Kombucha and many other beneficial foods have a detoxifying effect on the body. So if you drink too much of it too quickly at first and your body can't dispose of the toxins quickly enough, you may feel poorly from it. Often people think they are allergic to it, but in actuality it is the stored toxins coming out of their bodies that is the issue. Supposedly the organic acids in KT can actually dissolve some of these toxins.

This. The first time I drank barley grass juice (not the fermented kind) I got the worst headache of my life and felt off all day. It was horrible pretty much akin to a bout of food poisoning without the vomiting. Since then I avoid anything labelled as having a detox effect, which is just code for, make you feel awful. My diet is pretty good, 80% fresh vegetables and rarely any processed grains. I didn't have that reaction to kombucha but the acid content in it didn't like my tooth enamel.

Back