Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Lord that looks awesome! Did you use any nutrient or was this just a water honey yeast deal?
More than a few times I have walked past that and removed the cover just to sit and stare. I keep showing the wife who I don't think understands. Mother nature deserves all the credit though for what went right. It might just be the light in that room but I really think this is the prettiest mead I have made.

I used no sulfites to start, no energizers/nutrients, and Wyeast 4632. Stabilization was with 2 grams of sulfite and 2.4 grams of kbenz (5 gallons). The back-sweetening was done with the same homey at the same time as the stabilization - I think if I had planned better I might have stabilized, racked, then sweetened but this worked so who am I to argue.

Now, whether using stabilizers makes it a show-mead or not is a different argument but I'd say it's certainly in the spirit of the category.

I bottled these tonight Raspberry vanilla, Blueberry vanilla, Joes quick grape all are delicious.

ForumRunner_20130325_205807.jpg

ForumRunner_20130325_205841.jpg

ForumRunner_20130325_205856.jpg

ForumRunner_20130325_205923.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130325_205950.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130325_205950.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 639
image-560639627.jpg

This is my very first batch. No- boil, Semi-sweet, made with D-47 and a sliced orange. Starting to clear nicely after a month.
Note the cheap bastard setup. If you carefully cut the hole, a grommet fits in the cap, and with the bubbler this fermenter cost me about $2.50 including the gallon of spring water.

View attachment 111068

This is my very first batch. No- boil, Semi-sweet, made with D-47 and a sliced orange. Starting to clear nicely after a month.
Note the cheap bastard setup. If you carefully cut the hole, a grommet fits in the cap, and with the bubbler this fermenter cost me about $2.50 including the gallon of spring water.
You have me beat on the price, but I don't even bother with the grommet--just drill the hole a bit small, heat the cap till slightly malleable, and shove the airlock in (and seal with wax if needed)...

Enjoy your first of many batches to come :mug:

No problem. I also meant to say you can also (and should) prime your bottling bucket/bottles with honey. 1.5 oz honey per gallon to get 3.0 vols of co2.

That's what I intend to do with my next batch. I'm thinking a spiced cyser tho. What was your OG on this and what yeast did you use?

-Kingboomer

That's what I intend to do with my next batch. I'm thinking a spiced cyser tho. What was your OG on this and what yeast did you use?

According to my notes; this one had an OG of 1.078, which is low, especially for my meads. Finished at 0.985 with 4632-Dry Mead from WYeast, which I've only used this once. Overall, this mead is really good, but it was before I started adding some citric acid to my non-desert/sweet meads, so there is a little blandness to it. It's still relatively young too at 1 year.

Hello Spearko, I am currently putting together a presentation on some of my research into bee's and would like to use this picture as a bit of a gag photo to keep the audience interested. Would you be alright if i use the photo? i will give credit if you want/

My first bottled mead...the labels are still a bit wet. Got 10 more gallons ready to be bottled in another month or so..Strawberry-Vanilla and Raspberry. I cant wait to start drinking this stuff!
newvidoesandbrew019_zps21e67da8.jpg
[/IMG]​

mead1.jpg

7 different meads - we are working on recipes for when we open.

Orange
Bochet made with buckwheat honey
dark - kind of like a barley wine with a lot of dark malt though we didn't use any malts
big mead - 16% - will probably oak half of it
hopped (braggot)
chocolate
traditional

They don't sit by this window all the time, just there for a picture. They are stored out of the light.

pgenius said:
No problem. I also meant to say you can also (and should) prime your bottling bucket/bottles with honey. 1.5 oz honey per gallon to get 3.0 vols of co2.

This is some very useful information that I will store for future use :) thanks!

image-343070359.jpg

My first mead. It's been aging for about 6 months now. I've been away so it's been easy to let it sit. 3 more months and I will be bottling it! I can't wait to get home!

Mostly clear raspberry and a completely clear gallon of cherry chipotle. Black until you shine a light through it, then it's a gorgeous blood red.

image-4018506706.jpg

image-2416013451.jpg

Here's my ghetto-ass setup:

:eek:

Looks exactly like my first couple of gallons of fruit wine. I did my first batch, two gallons of blueberry mead, in a culligan water jug (looking for pictures). It has been ageing for seven months now in three two liters (maybe less my wife has been sneaking some out of the runt bottle while I have been gone for work the last 6 months). Keep it up and do what works for you.

Mead with Lime Blossom Honey. ~2.8lbs total, and Lalvin D47. I lost a little volume in an unfortunate de-gassing foamover.

8633867779_cc2da0c40f_z.jpg

This is the most brightly colored mead I've made so far. It started out as almost a light green, then turned into this after 3 days if fermenting. It's been very fun to watch... moreso than other fermentables. :D

I have high hopes for this guy... after Blackberry honey, Lime Blossom is my most favorite honey.

My 3rd attempt at mead after a Jaom and Joes quick grape. A 20L batch using Rewarewa honey. I will split it into 5L batches at secondary one of which will be Dragonfruit. Undecided on the rest. Maybe one other to play with and 10L as is. Its rather dark at this stage.

mead.jpg

Back