HELP! Overprimed/ready to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onerainmaker

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a noooob. :eek:

Split my APA into 2 halves, bottled the first half straight off with proper priming, and put the other half to secondary with some whitecurrants 'just to see what happens'.

However, just decanted the secondary into my bottle dispensing keg )I use a keg because it's easy to use the tap).

I want to bottle the beer, but have put a full batches worth of priming sugar in (3/4 of a cup of a mix of muscovado & cane sugar).

What do I do? It's only 2.2 gallons (give or take), and I've got another brew on that I intend to use the keg for (just do a few bottles, leave 4 gallons in the keg).

Will the glass bottles take it?

Will they just foam over on opening the bottle?

Advice?

Ta

You may have some bottle bombs on your hands with that much priming sugar.

Yes, I was thinking that. It's still in the bottling keg, so I may just leave in the keg and drink direct. Still, won't need recarbonating for a while, I presume?!!!

Sterilised and rinsed all the blinkin' bottles too.

Well,you can leave it in the keg to ferment the priming solution out. Then add another beer to it to make 5 gallons & prime that properly & proceed.

Decided to go a bit left field: leaving it in the keg, and as the whitecurrants didn't give a nice citrus tang, rather just a sour tang, I've added a bit more sugar and some blackcurrants. I'll drink direct from the keg as 'draft' beer.

Errrm, could be interesting.

Or undrinkable*!

* that's possible**??! :D

**errrm, no :drunk:

Leave it in the keg, let the priming sugar ferment out. It'll be over carbed but you can degas the keg until the carbonation is right. Also, I'd recommend not adding more things to this ATM.

Back