equipment maximization..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tava

Reaction score
hi all. i need your advise.
So I want to take my favorate 5 gallon recipe and do a 10 gallon batch. It’s a black IPA. Beersmith calculates the grain at 33LB and a pre boil volume of 15 gallons. It calculates the mash at 42 quarts of water... I only have a 10 gallon round cooler for a MLT so I cant handle that volume. I can adjust the numbers in beersmith to get to the below… but, will I see any issues with such a low grain to water ratio in the mash (29.6 quarts to 33 lb)??

23quart 45 minute mash at 148 degrees
6.6 quarts strike water to hit mash out temp 155 degrees

Then 5 batch sparges at 2.3 gallons each (which I will stack these into two equal sized sparges. Not sure why beersmith is saying 5 sparges…)

You are going to run into serious effeciency problem
I would suggest two mashes and combine run offs to boil
beersmith suggests 5 sparge because you need to set the sparges that fill % of vessel # I think its in the mash tab

FYI
thats the design tab, under profiles for mash carb aging, click on check mark on mash
there you can adjust sparge options

guess I could do a 5 gallon mash/sparge on saturday night and then another sunday morning and then combine and boil.

Back