Lab Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeraid94

Reaction score
Hey has any one tried using malt extract powder from a chem lab.... would it still work?

Are you talking about dry malt extract you can find in stores? I'm not sure what you mean by chem lab. But yes many people use dry malt extract (powder) for brewing beer.

Yes its DME powder and on the bottle it says " Malt Extract Powder is an aqueous extract of sprouted malt grains and dried at a low temp to preserve nutrients. 1 to 10% concentration is recommended for the propagation of Yeasts and Moulds."

Who is the manufacturer? I highly doubt that it's a "lab," but rather a maltster who is supplying a chemical company (probably with a big price markup). The label sounds like an overly academic description of "spray malt" - which is just plain old DME as we know it.

My thoughts as well. It sounds like it's sold to them for yeast propogation or the like. Not sure if it's the same flavor-wise as the DME we use?...

It is an India Company called HiMedia its apparently really well known there... I come from Nepal and I am the only one starting to brew here so I can't get any malt extract unless I make it my self or get this lab stuff.

Back