Kegging questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
Newbie looking to start buying kegging equipment.

1) looking to run four or five kegs, how many regulators are needed?
2) is it worth the $ to buy new kegs?

Though I only run 2 at a time, I for sure prefer a regulator on each keg. Since I typically run 2 different types of beer at a time, I can keep both flowing at the right pressure...

I've never paid for new kegs. Always purchased used and replaced the o-rings when they arrive. Clean em and load. Never had a problem.

One regulator, with either a single or dual body. If you're going to only need one pressure set (everything at the same CO2 volumes level) then you're good. If you want to carbonate differently, such as pale ales higher than browns and porters, then get a dual body regulator. Spend the few dollars more and get a Taprite regulator (with MFL connections). Get a manifold for each body so that you can carbonate almost all on one body. That way if you have one keg that needs a different pressure set, you can just put that one on one body and the balance on the other body. Look to Keg Connection for the parts for the system. Especially the tank, regulator, hoses, Oetiker clamps (and tool), etc.

For used or new kegs... Look over some of the threads from people that bought used kegs during the holiday sales events that were going on. More than a few had issues. IMO, it's luck of the draw with used kegs. I purchased two from the LHBS around Thanksgiving. Even though he gets them in pre-tested and they're supposed to be 100% ok with the o-rings in them, I had to replace the o-rings on the liquid dip tubes. The first one was weeping beer once I put pressure to it (all of 12-14 psi too). Changed the o-ring and it was fine. If you can't get the kegs locally, I would order/get new ones.

Look for the threads where people had used kegs that had leaks away from the posts (in the metal). If you don't locate those before you put beer into them, you're in for trouble. There are also people that got used kegs that the relief valves (ones you can pull) leaked. When buying used, you're getting used. It's up to the seller to decide if they can, or want to, replace/fix issue kegs. The better ones will, but there are plenty that will just tell you they were sold 'as is' and TFB for you. :eek:

Ok thanks for the replies. I'm actually looking to purchase a kit through kegconnection.com with stainless faucet upgrades and new kegs...but how many different pressures could I end up needing if I'm running four or five completely different beers?

Ok thanks for the replies. I'm actually looking to purchase a kit through kegconnection.com with stainless faucet upgrades and new kegs...but how many different pressures could I end up needing if I'm running four or five completely different beers?

Depends on the styles you plan on brewing and kegging. Theoretically, you could have four, or five, different pressure set needs. Realistically, though, two would probably cover the majority.

I would suggest giving Keg Connection a call to ask questions. I stand by going with the Taprite regulator over the Chudnow (their house brand). IME, the Taprite is a superior product, worth the few dollars more. I had an issue with their dual body regulator after only a couple of months. Got them to swap it out for a Taprite and haven't had any issue in over a year.

I purchased my two-keg starter kit from Adventures In Homebrewing (home brewing.org).

I upgraded to the mfl screw-on for the lines. The picnic faucets are cheap, but work, and I'll upgrade when I design my keezer.

It seems that a single regulator is fine if you're going to be running your kegs at the same pressure. I purchased an extra secondary locally as it has allowed me to force-carb at 20psi, while dispensing another keg at 12psi.

As for the kegs from AIH, they were used. One was still pressurized and had a little syrup in it. Both work and I have not had to change any o-rings, poppets, etc., although I have some in reserve. I dismantled the kegs and gave them a thorough clean, which forced me to learn keg construction (which I consider good knowledge).

When I get more kegs, I'll certainly buy them used as they're a lot less expensive than new.

Consider my knowledge as that coming from a newbie, who has around six weeks of kegging experience, but many, many years of beer-drinking experience!!!!!!!!

Charlie

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=723 How does this kit look? Has the taprite, would upgrade to perlickSS faucets,10 co2. What else do I need. Another taprite? Would expand into 4 plus kegs. This way kegs are new at 88 dollars with the kit.

I would make sure the regulator has a MFL connection on it, not a barb connection to the check valve.

If you want to feed 4 kegs, then get a 4 port manifold instead of the 2 port. Or change the regulator to a dual body [Taprite] and add another two, or three, port manifold.

Is this what I want then. Upgrade for 35$

I would... I would also call Keg Connection and request that the barbed shutoff/check valves be replaced with MFL versions. IME, easier to work with when you want to change things around, replace lines, shorten (or lengthen) lines, etc... Be sure you get a bunch of the tailpiece washers too. At $0.25 each, I'd get a few dollars worth. You need them whenever you have a threaded connection that's going to be metal on metal contact (not at the QD's but other places). I'd also ask that the manifold also be all MFL fittings. Makes things SO much easier.

Ok I have my quotes... Would you go with one six way manifold or 2 three ways? The way I'm reading its easier run two different pressures with two manifolds instead of one. Thoughts? Will be getting a dual body regulator and everything is ready for 4 more kegs when I'm ready.

Ok I have my quotes... Would you go with one six way manifold or 2 three ways? The way I'm reading its easier run two different pressures with two manifolds instead of one. Thoughts? Will be getting a dual body regulator and everything is ready for 4 more kegs when I'm ready.

I would go with the two 3 port manifolds. That way you can use two different pressures for up to three kegs. If you want all four at the same pressure, that's just as easy (with the dual body manifold). Just as long as you don't expect to need to have more than three kegs at one pressure, while the others are at a different pressure. :D

BTW, I'm running a two and three port manifold off of my dual body regulator. Have yet to need to change that.

Are you planning on having the CO2 tank inside the keezer or outside? I like having the CO2 tank outside the brew fridge for a few reasons. Being able to see the gauges without opening the door is one. Being able to adjust them without opening the door is another. Having more room for kegs is a HUGE one. :D With it outside the kegorator/keezer, you could go to a 50# CO2 tank if you wanted to.

Thanks! Haven't decided yet on inside or outside.... was going to look at the setup inside the keezer before deciding.

Thanks! Haven't decided yet on inside or outside.... was going to look at the setup inside the keezer before deciding.

If you put a collar on the keezer, then you can send the lines through that. I'd get the gas bulkhead (I believe Austin sells them at a reasonable rate, check your LHBS too) to go through the collar. You can even modify the bulkhead to use gas posts and QD's for the feed. Would make it far easier to disconnect the regulator if you needed to. :D

I'd also check out craigslist near you to see what people are offering there. Just make sure any used CO2 tanks are still in date or you'll end up paying for a pressure test. I've gotten some pretty amazing deals on CL.

I'd also check out craigslist near you to see what people are offering there. Just make sure any used CO2 tanks are still in date or you'll end up paying for a pressure test. I've gotten some pretty amazing deals on CL.

I've also seen some where the people were asking for far too much money. Full 20# CO2 tank for $150 (used, not brand new) with a supposed recent hydro date. Sorry, but I can get a brand spankin new one, delivered, for less than that. Hell, I could get a brand new one AND get it filled for less from a place I know of. Just might take a week, or so, for the new tank to come in. :D

Just be aware that some people on CL are charging too much. Compare prices with what you can get the stuff for, in brand new condition, before jumping on what appears (at first glance) to be a good deal. With used items you have no way to know if there's something wrong with it or not. It could be fine, but it could just as easily fail the following day/week.

My system has been ordered. Everything is brand new 2 kegs, 20lb Co2, all stainless perlicks, etc. Did lot of research and most places would have been 150 to 200 dollars more than keg connection with new kegs. Tried to stay local, but price point was to far off and they understood. Excited to get this bad boy filled up and pumping some brew!! Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Back