stri plate concept...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Gonna look into building a stir plate here real soon, and just wanted to understand how they're used a little better before I start down that path....

As I understand it, a magnet bar is spun below a beaker, and a plastic covered magnet is placed in the beaker with the yeast starter and the spinning magnet below causes the magnet in the flask to spin as well, stirring the yeast...

So I'm left wondering about the magnet in the flask...

How is it retrieved when pouring the yeast into the wort after boil? Or is it poured in with the yeast, and retrieved after racking the finished beer??

What is the general practice here?

I just carefully pour my starter into my wort and the stir bar will remain in the container I use, which is a standard glass pitcher.

An extra magnet from a hard drive that is used to hold the stirbar to the side of the flask/jug when pouring. Pitch the yeast first with stirbar fixed to the side with the extra magnet, run the magnet up to the top of the container to fish out the stirbar second.

An extra magnet from a hard drive that is used to hold the stirbar to the side of the flask/jug when pouring. Pitch the yeast first with stirbar fixed to the side with the extra magnet, run the magnet up to the top of the container to fish out the stirbar second.

this is exactly what I do.

Held in the flask with an extra magnet while pouring or pour through a strainer.

just ordered some 1" long by 1/4" wide by 1/8" thick magnets...

Now I need to order a magnetic stirrer bar

is 1" long enough? Or do I need something bigger?

Just finished my stir plate tonight. I need to adjust the distance from the internal magnet to the top of the box as it seems to run alot smoother when there's a little less than a quarter inch between the flask and the box (hence the towel draped over the box in the video below adding a bit of space)... It's running on a 6 volt cell phone adapter currently (no pun intended), but I think I may want to up it to 12 volt so there's a little wider range of control via the rheostat, but it works as is.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/video/yet-another-stir-plate-569.html

If I can successfully build one of these, anyone can!

Back