Great beers you DON'T like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything in a Green bottle with one exception. Dos Equis for some crazy reason I'll drink it and not hate it.

PhelanKA7 said:
Its snobbish to refuse to drink your beer. Don't drink another but above all FINISH YOUR BEER! There are sober people in Saudia Arabia for cryin out loud!

+1 yeah they don't even get BMC there! Think of the children.

Life's way to ****ing short to drink ****ty beer (including "great" beers that I don't like).

Yes sir.

dumped-1.jpg

I have also dumped a 3/4 bottle of pliny. :)

I used to love Mirror Pond, not so much anymore. Too thick and malty for the style.

Most beer at Gritty McDuffs in Portland, ME. They're english style and watered down.

SNPA. I used to love it but now I think it's terrible. Over-hopped in my opinion.

Just about all Dogfish Head. His beers are always way to sweet.

It's funny too because I'll go into the store and see a new DFH I haven't tried, read the label, and decide it sounds good. I get it home and I'm either completely put off by it or just plain indifferent and never buy it again.

The only beers I like of his are the 60 and Palo Santo and they're still very infrequent purchases.

Just about all Dogfish Head. His beers are always way to sweet.

It's funny too because I'll go into the store and see a new DFH I haven't tried, read the label, and decide it sounds good. I get it home and I'm either completely put off by it or just plain indifferent and never buy it again.

The only beers I like of his are the 60 and Palo Santo and they're still very infrequent purchases.

+1 on this.

I used to feel the same way about DFH, but some of thier specials,have grown on me. Their Pearl Jam beer is literally one of my favorite beers ever, and I also love Bitches Brew.

Add me to this club. That beer is a little too..........everything. Malt flavors are strong and strange, almost astringent in a way. And their yeast also seems to give the flavor kind of an unpleasant "sharp" yeasty bite. The hop flavors are harsh, and it has a very strange aftertaste. It is very appropriate that the label includes the quote "you probably won't like it", because for a lot of people that is absolutely true.

i agree, just not my thing... way too much happening at once, and I can't drink any beer with apricot in it, apricot and beer should not go together

Josh14025 said:
i agree, just not my thing... way too much happening at once, and I can't drink any beer with apricot in it, apricot and beer should not go together

I can't say I remember tasting apricot. Unless you youre drinking aprihop from DFH, but that stuff is awesome.

Pyramid Apricot Ale is amazing, along with Magic Hat's #9 when it's fresh! Those two are some of the stepping stones that got me into craft.

+1 to moose drool. I was so excited when I found it too. That 6 pack became that late night, who cares what it tastes like, beer

Southern tiers pumpking is a beer that many like that I find repulsive. Not sure what they put in it but I think they have to use some sort of artificial flavoring. To me it tastes like they put hazelnut coffee flavor syrup in it.

Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus. A Belgian style from quebec. Overly sweet and just unpleasant. I cringed finishing the bottle as dumping beer is against my beliefs.

I had a bottle of ABC Jolly Scot the other day and had to work pretty hard to finish. Not sure if it's a good representation of the style or not, but I sure didn't like it

I have never had anything from Magic Hat I have liked, ever. Two years in a row, a buddy suckered me into, "I hear this fall seasonal is really good!" I then choked down 3 bottles of 4 different ****ty beers, two years in a row. Never. Again.

Most things by Sierra Nevada taste the same to me, with the exception of their barley wine, and I do not find them palatable.

The worst beer I have ever had? Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. It tasted like someone mixed vanilla ice cream, with burnt marshmallows, and like another 2 cups of sugar. My teeth hurt thinking about that volume of sickening sweetness.

For me St Arnold Santo. I love most of their season beer, but this tastes like someone took a **** in the fermenter. Worst part is that this is not a seasonal but year round.

I have to disagree with those that hate stone. I love the place, but I do live 10 miles away and get some of the freshest stone beer u can get. I think there is something to say about IPA's and being shipped across country. Come to San Diego and visit stone, so much better then a bottle that's been shipped then siting on a shelf for weeks.

On a separate note, I've only had to pour out 2 beers. One my brother got which was made with seaweed, the other was so bad that I have blocked the name from my memory.

I think there is something to say about IPA's and being shipped across country. Come to San Diego and visit stone, so much better then a bottle that's been shipped then siting on a shelf for weeks.

I think that is exactlty it. Any beer that features prominent hop flavor and/or aroma is simply not going to be the same for a person across the country that is not getting a fresh product like the local folks do. In fact, most stone products I have had you can kind of tell that maybe they used to be better but have gotten old by the time I get them. It seems to me that most every Stone beer I have had tastes a bit oxidized and the hop flavors and aromas are obviously past their prime. Plus, it seems that beers with English-style yeasts like Stone's taste "old" pretty quickly. Same thing for me with Bell's brewery - I live right by them so I get consistently fresh, bright tasting beer. But I have heard a lot of people who are from elsewhere say that Bell's is overrated and they don't like it as much. Part of it is that craft beer nerds have a great desire to be the one who calls the more popular breweries overrated, but I'm sure part of it is freshness issues from shipping long distances.

Is there a beer that is consistently held at high regard that you just don't like?

All of the IPA's from Green Flash. Their IPA's just come off as too sweet and malt forward to me. Did not like them at all.

I think the main one for me is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Most people seem to love it. It's got to be the least-flavorful pale I've had. At first I thought it was just not hoppy enough and I'm spoiled by IPAs... but nope. In general just boring and bland.

I personally think Stone puts out the best IPAs. Ruination is perfection. Don't understand the hate. I guess I can understand people annoyed by over-hopping but I can't get enough of ridiculous IPAs or big RISs.

People seem to lose their mind over Duck Rabbit's milk stout, but I think it tastes like burnt microwave popcorn.

I also don't like Oskar Blues' "Dale's Pale Ale", though I really do like Gubna and Ten Fiddy.

Also... Bell's "Hype"slam. I think it tastes like it was filtered through the back-side of a stray cat... possibly even Brian Setzer.

People seem to lose their mind over Duck Rabbit's milk stout, but I think it tastes like burnt microwave popcorn.

I also don't like Oskar Blues' "Dale's Pale Ale", though I really do like Gubna and Ten Fiddy.

Also... Bell's "Hype"slam. I think it tastes like it was filtered through the back-side of a stray cat... possibly even Brian Setzer.

Also, anything by Black Diamond tastes like complete ass. If I never have another bottle of Peak XV or their Bourbon Barrel Grand Cru, it will be too soon.

Ten Fiddy is great as long as I have two hours to drink it.

TBH, I like drinking big beers over the course of an hour or so, so I can see how they change as they warm up. Cuvée Van De Keizer (blauw) instantly springs to mind as one of those.

Most of Magic Hat Brewing's offering.

"9" IS cat piss.

Back