Growth on top layer of Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Na71v3

Reaction score
So I made a batch a while back and let is sit in primary for 10 days before racking to secondary. Sat in secondary for 7 days and noticed a growth to happen on the top. Have not bottled because I cannot tell what this growth is from. Possible infection?

IMG_0514.jpg

Recipe

Yeah, that looks a whole lot like mold. I'm guessing the funk isn't your friend on this one? Pitch it in the river of broken wings and shattered dreams.

I'm not so convinced it is mold just because it sprang up but never spread or grew just sat on top of co2 bubbles.

Well, if it is mold, then your up that famous creek, so sample it, if it taste good then it is worth bottling. If you do rack without disturbing it and leave the surface layer intack and discard.

Be warned strange things growing in your beer can suddenly take your beer down a few points and make lots of CO2 which would be bad, other yeasts and microbes can eat the high order sugar that beer yeast does not. Anything suspect like that I put the bottles in a plastic bin, so if they go for a high order kinda finish the SWMBO does not demand and end to beer brewing!

My opinion it is a mold

Clem

Back