Starter... May have small leak somewhere problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hey all,

I made a slight mistake when making a starter.

The gallon gowler I bought doesn't support the stopper, so I stuck it in the best I could and then tapes it with tape around the edges.

Today the starter took off like crazy. But I dont see hardly any bubbles in the airlock.

Will it be OK for my next batch of beer? I dont know how else to seal it. I could retape it......

Also should I be stirring it? The yeast look like there doing a good job by themselves.....:drunk:

Dont worry about taping it. The activity in the starter will keep a flow of CO2 comming out of the gap at the top, preventing any nasties from getting in. Dont worry about the fact that there are no bubbles in the airlock. I dont even use airlocks on my starters, just aluminum foil.

- magno

Lots of people have been know to just cover the top of the growler with tinfoil (without even using an airlock). The fermentation is active enough where it's hard for many buggies to fall in, anyway.

EDIT: magno would be one of those peeps!

Ahh ok..

I think eventually I might be putting this in the fridge to chill though....

My brew day have been offset by a few days now and I made the starter last night.:mad:

After the few days of fermentation ill place it in the fridge covered with foil at the top.

Any idea if I should stir the wort in the starter? Ive heard conflicting reports.:off:

I aerate the living crap out of them with an aquarium pump, and shake them up every so often.

When you are ready to use it, take it out of the fridge to let it get to room temp, then take most of the liquid off the top of the yeast cake before pitching it. You do not want to shake it up after you chill it.

- magno

Hmm ok though. I assumed all the yeast would drop after chilling meaning you should shake it before adding to the wort????

Thats how ive done it. Oops.

Back