Half Of My Plant In Cones, Other Half Still Growing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polkahero

Reaction score
My first year Centennials have me perplexed. For the last month or so the main bine stopped growing (around 5 feet) and has been in cone production ever since. The other bine is still growing (around 6 feet) and doesn't have any burrs yet. These are from the same rhizome. Can anyone explain this?

if the secondary vine began to climb later than the main one, this is normal. they will try to produce cones no matter when they were trained. unfortunately, the later vines may not have time to develop a usable cone. you gotta give them credit for trying though. also, even if they don't have a chance to fully develop, you're still getting a ton of carbohydrates sent back to the crown for energy in the next growing season. this kinda goes back to folks recommending cutting back the new growth early, and then selecting a few choice vines to train to bear the main harvest. once they get established you'll have more vines than you know what to do with and if you keep letting the stragglers climb, you'll end up with a mish-mash of ripe and immature cones which makes harvest a real chore. get hoppin'!

The simple answer is they will do what they want to do and human intervention is at best futile. We spend way too much time obsessing about those weeds. I just met a guy who has some bines growing and does absolutely nothing to them and they produce year in and year out.

I expect nothing from them except frustration and therefore get rewarded if I get a few usable ounces.

Bleep the damn aphids.

Back