get me off the extract!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duggysbrew

Reaction score
hi all

i've been out of the loop for a while, it's been a really cold winter here in toowoomba, Australia. so i haven't done any brewing for a couple of months. but it's just got back to above 30C again so it's time to brew. i have just put on an extract brew (Morgans Pilsner), but its the last one i want to do. i would like to start on grain brewing. has anyone got a simple recipe for a first time grain brewer.

thanks

I dont have a recipe for ya... but I do have a question.

Whats the temperature outside have to do with your ability to brew? IMO the colder, the better, makes cooling the wort easier (put your brew pot outside for a little bit (covered of course) and it'll cool much faster)

A generic AG recipe (for 5 gals):
  • 8 lbs base malt (ie Pale 2-row)
  • 1 lbs Crystal malt (your choice of Lovibond rating)
  • 1/2 oz Bittering hops of your choice ~60 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~30 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~10 mins
Mash at 150-154 degrees for 90 mins, sparge, boil, cool, ferment, drink, be happy :)

edit: formating

FrewBrew said:
I dont have a recipe for ya... but I do have a question.

Whats the temperature outside have to do with your ability to brew? IMO the colder, the better, makes cooling the wort easier (put your brew pot outside for a little bit (covered of course) and it'll cool much faster)

it's been below 10C for most of the winter and our heating only heats 2 rooms of the house. and my wife wouldnt let me brew in the lounge room.:(

LupusUmbrus said:
A generic AG recipe (for 5 gals):
  • 8 lbs base malt (ie Pale 2-row)
  • 1 lbs Crystal malt (your choice of Lovibond rating)
  • 1/2 oz Bittering hops of your choice ~60 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~30 mins
  • 1 oz Flavoring hops of your choice ~10 mins

Mash at 150-154 degrees for 90 mins, sparge, boil, cool, ferment, drink, be happy :)

edit: formating

this may sound stupid but i havn't done this type of brewing before, but what do the timings mean after the ingredients and 150-154 is that degrees F or C and what is sparge????? i think i'll have to go out and buy a good brewing book.

duggysbrew said:
this may sound stupid but i havn't done this type of brewing before, but what do the timings mean after the ingredients and 150-154 is that degrees F or C and what is sparge????? i think i'll have to go out and buy a good brewing book.

You definitely should have spent your winter reading instead of surfing, mate!

the times are the length of time the hops are boiled. 150-154 is F. sparge is to drain the sugar from the grains after the mash. Dave Millers homebrewing guide is a good book for all grain brewing. check this website out it has more than enough info to get you through it and clear up a lot of questions: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-6.html

Back