American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the post that started it all!!! way back in September 06

great beer BTW

EdWort said:
I'm going to do the same and work on a House Ale. I've tweaked your recipe just a bit. I hope it turns out a clean crisp ale that SWMBO will like. Total cost at AHBS was $16.42 No room for bulk grains yet.

Grain/Extract/Sugar

8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
2.00 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.50 lbs. Crystal 10L

Hops Pellets

Amount Name Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Cascade 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade 5 min.

Yeast: Danstar Nottingham

Gonna batch sparge it with my new 10 gallon Home Depot cooler. Thanks for a great idea. Brew weekend, here we come!

:rockin:

Brewed this one Sunday afternoon. First AG batch. Used Nottingham Yeast. Had a very active airlock for most of Monday and looking at it this evening, I'm seeing no activity (at least for as long as I can sit and stare it without losing patience). Is that pretty common for this recipe? Should I give it a stir to make sure the yeast is not sitting on top of krausen?

first time a neighbor tasted my latestt HPA tonight.... he REALLY liked it, and was intrigued that a guy from TX devised such a simple recipe... he liked the balance --- everything just right ...

Stick with a winner .. I hav another 10 gals in the pipeline, ready to be kegged..

Brewed this one Sunday afternoon. First AG batch. Used Nottingham Yeast. Had a very active airlock for most of Monday and looking at it this evening, I'm seeing no activity (at least for as long as I can sit and stare it without losing patience). Is that pretty common for this recipe? Should I give it a stir to make sure the yeast is not sitting on top of krausen?

I used Nottingham with mine too. It finishes fast, but I'd let it sit and cool off for at least a couple more days.

Yeah, I don't plan on touching it until Saturday anyway, I was just wondering if 24 - 36 hours of airlock activity is pretty normal for this recipe.
Yes very normal with notty. But let it sit at least 10 days after it stops. I do 3wks seams to cleanup faster. One more week one the cake does wonders. At least that is my opinion with this recipe.

Yes very normal with notty. But let it sit at least 10 days after it stops. I do 3wks seams to cleanup faster. One more week one the cake does wonders. At least that is my opinion with this recipe.

I'm going to keg after 7 days. Not because I'm impatient, but I've got a BBQ coming up the following weekend and I've got nothing on tap at the moment :)

My IBU's come out to about 22. My alpha acids are 5.40%. Should I increase the amount for each addition?

What I would do is, using brewing software, keep the 30 min through flameout additions the same and then increase the 60 minute addition until you hit the same number of IBUs (using the same formula used to estimate the IBUs in the original recipe).

haus.jpg

brewed this again... every time its been fermented in plastic, this is the first time in glass.

my girl said it looks like chai.... :off:

I got distracted and ended up mashing for 90 minutes...

And I also made a starter, I know it is unnecessary but I am wanting to do a big beer my next batch and never have made one.

I have a hard time thinking this is going to clear up.

Fermentation was REALLY active today, may have just stirred up a ton of cold break???

Any ideas?

My friends and I dig this beer. I am trying to keep it on tap .

Finally got around to brewing again, and have my first AG in primary. Modified the recipe by substituting munich for vienna and 1/4 lb crystal 40 and 1/4 lb carapils instead of the crystal 10L (LHBS is great, but limited in grain selection).

I got 67% brewhouse efficiency, so I'm pretty jazzed. Room to improve, but a reasonable first showing. Everything went smooth, and I think this is how I'm making beer from now on. Thanks for the recipe Ed!

Just tasted mine after 10 days in the bottle. Still a little green but I think it will be ready soon!

This also was my first time doing a mini mash. Very nice flavor from the 2-row and the Vienna malt.

So mine is really cloudy/hazy. I was going to cold crash, but I didn't. Is that the difference or something else?

I made this recipe and its finnally carbed up AWSOME!!!!Thanks ed! I did a steam beer recently that was really cloudy i had a tough time keeping a steady boil so i think the cloudyness may be caused by hot or cold break hope that helps.If it tastes good who cares how cloudy it is ,except beer judges:mug:

So mine is really cloudy/hazy. I was going to cold crash, but I didn't. Is that the difference or something else?

That might have helped. This was my first beer. I didn't cold crash and I kegged. Mine didn't clear until about 3 months. Only had about a gallon left then! I've got another batch ready to keg. I'm going to cold crash and use gelatin on this one. We'll see if that helps (has made a big differrence on my following batches). Cheers!

I followed the recipe to a T but got very good efficiency (89%). I am boiling now but should end up with 5 gallons of 1.066 or 5.5 gallons of 1.060 wort. Do you recommend adding a little more hops to balance the increase in ABV?

I followed the recipe to a T but got very good efficiency (89%). I am boiling now but should end up with 5 gallons of 1.066 or 5.5 gallons of 1.060 wort. Do you recommend adding a little more hops to balance the increase in ABV?

It would be best if you had just stopped collecting wort once you had enough gravity points for your beer and then made up the rest of your volume with water. The best solution would probably be to just add water to increase the size of your batch to 6.4 or 6.5 gallons. Then you would want to increase your hops accordingly. (approx 20% more than planned)

oh well too late. It will just be a little strong. actually I froze a little for a starter and diluted a little. Ended up with 5.5 gal @ 1.060. Not too bad...

how is the extract version? i have some cascade just sitting in my freezer that needs to be used.

I did a PM with 6.5 # of grain. I lowered the IBUs a bit but dry hopped the crap out of it. Love this recipe. I'm already on my third batch. So... I can't exactly tell you how the extract version since I used a lot more grain than it suggested. You should search this thread for extract and see what people say. 147 pages... something's gotta be there...

Mine will be ready in about 2 more weeks! I did everything this recipe called for but decided to dry hop an ounce for around 14 days only because I had a spare ounce of cascade laying around.

I ended up with a good bit of cascade hop fragments in each bottle so the hop flavor and aroma should be through the roof (hopefully not overkill). I have high hopes that after refrigeration they will fall out of suspension, can be left behind with a good poor and will lead to an excellent, first attempt, AG pale ale!!!

I ordered this recipe again but changed out the hops to Summit for bittering/flavor and Amarillo for flavor & aroma just to get a feel of what different hops bring to the table.

Mine is carbing in the keg right now, taste test and reading went well. Hoping to have it ready to go on Saturday for the boxing match. I will have Ed's HPA, BM's Cent. Blonde, a SA cream stout clone, and a FireHouse PA (lots of cascades) on tap. Hope we are still able to watch the match! :mug:

I'm assuming you're not AG. Look up the extract or the PM recipes above then use brewing software or a website to calculate the IBUs based off of the amount you are boiling. Your hops utilization will be different because you are not doing a full boil.

I love this beer. This was my first all grain. I brewed it in march and my keg is just about empty. I am hoping to brew it again soon. Hasanybody dry hopped it? How much how long? I have centennial or cascade. Maybe an ounce for a week?

I dry hopped with an 1 oz of cascade for a week and it turned out very well. It had a nice aroma and I felt the dry hopping made the beer more balanced. I recommend do so.....enjoy!

I'm with seanybubbles! I dry hopped as well and this was my first attempt at all grain...............

I am blown away by how good this beer is!!!!! I made two attempts at extract brewing and wasn't very satisfied with final product so I jumped to all grain and chose this recipe. I am so glad I did because this is one damn good pale ale that could pass for something bought at the store and will be a staple in my line up from here on out. Thank you for this recipe!

Anyone else doing this this weekend? I am, for my first 10g batch AND for my first batch introducing a newbie to brewing! Hope it turns out as awesome as I'm expecting.

I was extremely tempted when I saw a post on this thread saying... this beer is like Fireman's 4. Being a Texas ex-pat in Virginia, I'm hoping this beer will be a pleasant reminder of home. I've decided to do the mini-mash and subbed Hallertau for the Cascade to reduce the hop profile a bit to make it more in line with Fireman's 4. Hoping it will be ready for my party I'm having the first week of June. Here is my revised hopping schedule:

1 oz Hallertau 60 Mins
1 oz Hallertau 45 Mins
.5 oz Hallertau 15 Mins
.5 oz Hallertau 5 Mins

I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

I just tried my first batch of this beer. Some of the best damm beer I've had! Ya ought to be be proud Ed, far as know almost 4,000 gallons of this beer has been brewed. I'm going to have to work at keeping this beer on hand.

Me and my buddy brewed up 10 gallons of this brew Friday night. Pitched my already aggressively fermenting starter and it seems like its almost finished with primary fermentation already. I will be leaving this one for 3 weeks in primary than secondary for few days to help clear things up.

Looking forward to getting this one on tap in early June!

I'll brew my first batch of this next weekend as I just had the father/brother in law over and I need something on tap that appeals to the mass audience. They weren't quite sure what to do with my Dunkelweizen or Nut Brown Ale.

I was extremely tempted when I saw a post on this thread saying... this beer is like Fireman's 4. Being a Texas ex-pat in Virginia, I'm hoping this beer will be a pleasant reminder of home. I've decided to do the mini-mash and subbed Hallertau for the Cascade to reduce the hop profile a bit to make it more in line with Fireman's 4. Hoping it will be ready for my party I'm having the first week of June. Here is my revised hopping schedule:

1 oz Hallertau 60 Mins
1 oz Hallertau 45 Mins
.5 oz Hallertau 15 Mins
.5 oz Hallertau 5 Mins

I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

The cascades give it a nice citrusy summer ale flavor. It may be very good with Hallertau but will be a completely different beer. my .02...

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love cascade just as much as the next guy. I just wanted something with a slightly lower IBU to make it more like a true blonde ale and hallertau seemed like the obvious choice. Also, I plan to serve it up at a party with some non-beer aficionados and this seemed like a good compromise. I'll probably brew it with Cascade someday soon. Or I'll load up on cascade and maybe some centennial and make me a citrus/grapefruit hop bomb IPA.

Cheers,

:mug:

I will be doing my first All-grain as well with this. To do a 10 gallon batch all I need to do is double the recipe on the first page correct? If not, what would change in going from 5 to 10 gallon batch of this?

Thanks

I just racked my first batch of Ed's Pale Ale to secondary. Tastes Great! I made this for the less adventurous friends for my annual Memorial Day camping trip. I think it will be a big hit!:rockin:

I have to say, I must have messed this up somewhere. I'm not digging it. Seems too heavy on the sweeter end. I mashed at 154. Got side tracked so I missed my temp. Still in all, very sweet. Might just need to age a bit. Definitely not ready right out of the fermenter like some have said. It has been kegged and carbed for about a week now. I'm going to give it another few weeks in the keg and see if it balances out. Sat in the fermenter for 3 weeks. From pictures it looks like the SRM is right on, maybe a shade darker but still pretty close.

Back